Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect MBP to Polaroid TV via HDMI 'not supported'

I have a MacBook Pro model 5,4 (mid 2009 15-in). I'm trying to decide whether to get a larger external monitor or a TV. I want it for editing photos in Adobe PhotoShop Elements. Before I buy anything, I've decided to experiment with the Polaroid (brand) 19" TV in my bedroom. The TV has an HDMI port; I have a mini-DVI to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable, so I'm ready to go ... right? Well, I put it all together and changed the input on the TV to the HDMI port. Result: "Not Support!" [sic]

At this point, I have no idea where the problem lies. Is there a setting I can change in my MBP? Did I buy the wrong mini-DVI to HDMI adapter? Or is it the TV itself? How do I figure it out?

My mini-DVI to HDMI adapter is an "Accell UltraAV Mini DisplayPort 1.1 to HDMI Passive Adapter."

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 5:17 PM

6 replies

Oct 15, 2013 6:24 PM in response to Caesar1948

Uh-oh—I think I just figured it out. I pulled up the manual for my MacBook Pro, where I read this about the Mini DisplayPort: "Connect to an external display ... that uses a DVI or VGA connector."

So that's my answer—my mid-2009 MBP doesn't support HDMI? Meaning my only only choice is to get a monitor that has, at best, a DVI port ... ?

Is there no way to add HDMI support to this MBP?

Oct 15, 2013 7:04 PM in response to Tlix

Audio is no problem. I have an external sound system to handle that.

Forgive me, but I erred when I wrote about a "mini-DVI to HDMI adapter." My mistake. I am using exactly what I should be using: a Mini Displayport to HDMI adapter.

You say my MBP should work with this setup—that is, I should be able to connect to my TV via an HDMI cable. Can you offer any suggestions as to why the TV posts an error message: "Not Support"? Do I need to tweak a setting on my TV? On the MacBook?

Oct 15, 2013 7:52 PM in response to Tlix

Update: I tried the connection with another TV—a Sony 36-inch—and it works! So the problem is with the Polaroid brand TV, not the MacBook.

I noticed something when I connected to the Sony TV. Neither text nor photos look as good as they do on my MBP's display, and that takes me to the real question I'm trying to answer. Can a modern flat-screen LCD or plasma TV do the work of a dedicated computer monitor? A sales clerk tried to tell me that a 23-inch TV would be a better choice than a 23-inch monitor—lower cost, higher resolution, and, oh, by the way, you can watch TV on it. She said few of her customers are buying monitors these days. They're choosing instead to buy TVs and connecting them to their laptops. Really? If one wants to use a computer for real computer work, and not just for entertainment, a monitor should be the way to go ... right?

Oct 15, 2013 8:16 PM in response to Caesar1948

Caesar1948 wrote:

Can a modern flat-screen LCD or plasma TV do the work of a dedicated computer monitor? A sales clerk tried to tell me that a 23-inch TV would be a better choice than a 23-inch monitor—lower cost, higher resolution, and, oh, by the way, you can watch TV on it.

There are two issues, resolution and color quality.

Today's consumer televisions are built for 1080p HD, which is 1920x1080 pixels. But computer monitors are usually built for higher resolutions. You probably will find that most 23-inch computer monitors today are at least 1920x1080, matching a TV. But as you go up in size, TVs don't have any more pixels, while computer monitors do. A 30, 60, or 70-inch TV will still be 1920x1080, but a 30-inch computer monitor will be 2560x1600 pixels, which is a lot more detail. Part of this is because TVs are meant to be seen from 10 feet away while monitors are meant to be seen from 2 feet away.

Color quality on a computer monitor will often be better than on a TV. If you were a design or photo professional, you'd want high resolution and a well-calibrated screen and a computer monitor would do better at both. That's one reason TVs are cheaper than computer monitors, the standards are lower. TV watchers are just not as critical about image quality as computer users working on web sites and photos.

But if you're just doing office work where sharpness and color precision are not important, a TV can be a great and economical substitute for a computer monitor. Just realize that as monitor sizes go above 23 inches, TVs don't provide any additional resolution but computer monitors do.

Connect MBP to Polaroid TV via HDMI 'not supported'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.