Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to resize my bootcamp partition without deleting itit

How can i resize my bootcamp partition to make it larger without deleting it or having to reload windows?

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 4:24 PM

32 replies

Nov 15, 2013 9:44 AM in response to agv71

Yesterday expanded my bootcamp partition from 50 up to 100 Gb using Mini Tool Partition Wizard Home Edition, a Freeware Windows Program after seeing this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeKeawqxUa0

Note that I have OSX Mavericks, Steps are:

1) backup all your files (optional but strongly reccomended).

2) Using OSX Disk Utility resize MacintoshHD partition leaving unallocated space as much as you need to add to bootcamp partition.

3) Set Bootcamp as Boot Disk and restart the mac.

4) in Bootcamp with Windows running launch Mini Tool Partition and select the bootcamp partition.

5) Choose "expand" option in order to expand the partition using all the unallocated space.

6) The program prompt to you to restart the mac for apply the task, cause is not possible while the partition is mounted and windows running.

7) Restart the mac and then automatically Mini Tool Partition will do the job in a "graphic msdos like" form.

I was lucky and worked for me, I have a Late 2009 Mac Mini with MAVERICKS and a samsung 250Gb SSD Evo.

Hope this can help the community but decline any responsibility, do it at your own risk, you can use programs like winclone or camptune if you feel more comfortable with a pay app.

Jan 11, 2014 1:08 PM in response to Bonadventure

If you search through these forums, you'll find people who have had their bootcamp partition disappear when they do a major OS upgrade. Folks have posted that the culprit is doing what you've done above: decrease os x partition, boot into windows, increase windows partition size.

I can't find any evidence that the Mini Tool Parition Wizard software does or does not result in this situation, but there's enough talk out there that personally I'm going to just nuke my bootcamp partition and recreate it at a larger size. That seems the safest (if not also the most labor intensive) way to go.

Jan 11, 2014 2:20 PM in response to RabidCow

Thanks for your reply, what you said is very important and everyone should take this into account before resizing bootcamp partition.

I did not know that there might be problems with a osx system update, but I had also read that even using camptune some users have had problems during resizing, so rather than spending money on a program that use once or twice I did a search and found that video of a boy who had used the procedure I posted and decided to risk.

People who read this thread would do well to read carefully the contribution of Michael Post1 before acting with Mini Tool Partition Wizard.

Feb 5, 2014 9:34 PM in response to agv71

I did follow the instructions on the YouTube video.

Warning.

Afterwards Windows will collect that allocated space.

Which is AWESOME!

But on the OS X side, it will show unallocated space still, and show the original sized

boot camp partition.

PLEASE do not click Verify or Repair Disk on that Partition.

I wanted OS X to see Windows for what it was.

In that process it corrupts the Boot Camp Partition.

So windows is GONE.

I think I am more sad about the 250 gigs of games I had.

It just takes so long to download each one in steam.

Best,

Joshua

Mar 19, 2014 5:52 PM in response to agv71

Hi everyone, I resized my Boot Camp partition using the method from this thread, and then I read about the possible consequences, and opted to wipe that partition with Boot Camp Assistant and instead use Windows in a virtual machine. As far as I know, my MBP's partition table contains nothing strange—no remnants of the resize operation that could cause damage in conjunction with an OS X update later—but could anyone suggest a method to verify that this is the case? Thanks a bunch!

how to resize my bootcamp partition without deleting itit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.