Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

random folders appear after i downloaded something

I have a mac laptop that was running on an old OS system, (10.5 something), and last week, I bought and installed the snow leopard 10.6.3.

Being that there were 5 updates to get it up to the current 10.6.8, (so I can get the itunes 11.1.1 that I needed for my iphone back-up), I preceded to look for them on-line, (unaware at that time, that if I just went to the apple logo on top left, I could have just clicked on "software update").

Long story short, in the process of figuring out "software update" availability, I did go on-line and download what I thought was an update; now I have random files all over the place, (even ones that look like they should have been hidden).

Yesterday, I did download Sophos and did a check; it did say I had a "Trojan something", and it cleaned it up. I still, however, have the random folders everywhere, so did another Sophos check and it said it didn't detect anything.

Is this just coincidental and I have another issue?.....although nothing like this has ever happened before this download, so I believe I still have a well hidden virus in my system.

FYI: when my Time Machine backs up my computer, it keeps running "forever", where as before, it would only stay on for a few minutes, (enough to save any new info).

Thanks in advance for any help I can get on this.

M

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 5:36 PM

4 replies

Oct 16, 2013 3:12 AM in response to islandgirl135

Long story short, in the process of figuring out "software update" availability, I did go on-line and download what I thought was an update;

That is probably not an issue, but could potentially be bad. Do you recall where you got that update from?

now I have random files all over the place, (even ones that look like they should have been hidden).

Can you give some examples (names as well as where they are located)? There are normally many hidden files and folders on your hard drive, so it's possible that your Finder has just been set somehow to show hidden files.

Yesterday, I did download Sophos and did a check; it did say I had a "Trojan something", and it cleaned it up.

Can you recall the actual name that it used? Names are very important with malware - they tell us whether the malware affects Mac OS X and how to respond if it does. In Sophos, choose Scan -> View Scan Log and look for the name there.

FYI: when my Time Machine backs up my computer, it keeps running "forever", where as before, it would only stay on for a few minutes, (enough to save any new info).

Following an update - if you actually installed one - that is normal.

Oct 16, 2013 2:41 PM in response to thomas_r.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you so much for your speedy response.

I did look into if it was my hidden files, and it sure was! I had figured it out only a bit before I got your response to me, (AFTER I spent hours erasing and re-started over with my Mac...thank goodness for Time Machine backups!)

As far as the Trojan virus that was quarantined for Sophos, I don't have that info anymore; when I erased my hard drive, reinstalled Snow Leopard, and used a backup "file" I had on Time Machine, I didn't have Sophos at the point I backed up from.

I do have one question then: Sophos did in fact find something, (which might have been there from the download I did a few days ago, or from weeks or whatever before that ago). When trying to figure out my Mac issue, I did see all this controversy on the internet about the Mac not needing AV software, (and that AV software can still find viruses on a Mac, but it doesn't affect the Mac because it was meant for a PC, so don't worry about it).

I don't know if I should download Sophos again, and scan and get rid of a Trojan virus if it finds one. My Mac is running perfectly normal by the way.

SEEeeee, reading all the stuff on the internet has gotten me paranoid, (as in my Mac is fine, but I want to download and run a scan), and/or confused, (as in the controversy I found out about Mac's not needing AV software)......HaHa!

Thanks again...you are definitely doing GOOD for the community! :-)

M

Oct 16, 2013 2:59 PM in response to islandgirl135

Glad to hear you've got it all sorted out. And thanks for the compliments!

Regarding the need for anti-virus software, you'll find a lot of contradictions out there. I know you've found my site already, but in case you haven't found that particular page, see my Mac Malware Guide:

http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg

I've gone to great effort to keep it objective and fact-based.

random folders appear after i downloaded something

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.