Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal hard drive slow down

One of my four internal hard drives is causing considerable SLOW read and write times. I have a MacPro 2x2.93 Quad-Core with 16GB RAM and with 4 internal hard drives. The drives were and are: Boot drive WesternDigital 640GB that has recently been replaced by a Seagate 2TB and three equal back up Seagate 3TB 7200rpm drives. All was running well until I recently upgraded the OS from 10.6 to 10.8. Now back up drive #2 is performing sluggishly and dragging down my syste. Drive #2 is slow to open folders, draw icons on screen after opening a new folder, rediculously slow write times with varying file size copying, slows down shut down and boot times. Shut down time went from 9 secods to over 40 seconds and similar boot up results. All drives are less than a year old and all 7200rpm.

I have attempted the following:

Moving drive #2 to other slots, rebooting. (When the problem drive is pulled, everything is speedy and normal)

Running Disk Very and Verify/Repair Permissions. Came up with "Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.

Reformatting the drive twice with Disc Utility

I would appreciate any insight on this matter. I will be caling Seagate to get their take on this issue. I suspect I will get the finger pointing routine, but hopefully not.

Many Thanks,

Georges

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 6:47 PM

5 replies

Oct 15, 2013 10:07 PM in response to GMac14

Back up all data immediately as your boot drive may be failing.

This diagnostic procedure will query the log for messages that may indicate a system issue. It changes nothing, and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator. I've tested them only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, they may not work as described.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'GPU D|I/O|find tok|n Cause: -|timed? ?o' | tail | open -ef

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V).

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

A TextEdit window will open with the output of the command. Normally the command will produce no output, and the window will be empty. If the TextEdit window (not the Terminal window) has anything in it, post it — the text, please, not a screenshot. The title of the TextEdit window doesn't matter, and you don't need to post that.

May 3, 2016 4:47 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well, I'm having the same problem with my internal HD and tried the syslog command.

At the TextEdit window appeared this:

May 3 17:23:21 Elitecams-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Process systemmigrationd [223] disabling system-wide I/O Throttling

--- last message repeated 2 times ---

May 3 17:26:48 Elitecams-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Process systemmigrationd [226] disabling system-wide I/O Throttling

--- last message repeated 6 times ---

May 3 17:34:46 Elitecams-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Process systemmigrationd [225] disabling system-wide I/O Throttling

--- last message repeated 19 times ---

May 3 17:45:18 Elitecams-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Process systemmigrationd [224] disabling system-wide I/O Throttling

--- last message repeated 4 times ---

May 3 17:50:18 Elitecams-MacBook-Pro kernel[0] <Notice>: Process systemmigrationd [225] disabling system-wide I/O Throttling

--- last message repeated 24 times ---

Internal hard drive slow down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.