Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to deactivate or uninstall or remove iTunes in 10.6.8?

How can one either reinstall the system withOUT iTunes

or uninstall it,

or put it on ice

so it can't affect any aifc or aiff file of whiich I have about 1500 on my Mini

I do NOT like iTunes. period.

QuickTime has all the features I use

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo 2GB

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 6:43 PM

6 replies

Oct 16, 2013 5:55 AM in response to AMBER93

AMBER93,

Try this, drag on e of youraifc files to the desktop, highlight it, the press COMMAND i, this will bring up the info window, under "open with" click the drop down menu and select Quick time, then clcik "Change all", do this with an aiff file as well. This should make that the default for opening these files.

Hope this helps.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 16, 2013 9:22 AM in response to sanjampet

Yes... that works so that all will OPEN in QT Player.... but the icons still show the black iTunes instead of the QT icon. I did that yesterday... and today when I opened the list of several hundred in a folder all the icons were QT as the folter opened and immediatelly it began to change the icons to iTunes... and on selecting command I to examine the do show that they are set to open to QT. .... so something else, somewhere is causing the change in icon without causing it to activate the opening process.

Any clues on how to get rid of that switchover of icon process?? makes it really confusing.

Oct 16, 2013 9:41 AM in response to Klaus1

Klaus1... they were all created with WiirePro and opened in QT in earlier versions of the Mac on different Macs over the past 20 years. All were QT files...

When I moved them to this Mini running 10.6.8 and opened the folder to select one to play, all of the icons began changing, and changed, to iTunes.

I would like to get that to cease.

While they now open in QT, I'd like to see the original icon not a replacement.

On the link in your post, it went to Pairing YOUR Apple Remote with your computer

and I did not see anything relative ... is there some other source elsewhere?

Oct 16, 2013 10:03 AM in response to Klaus1

Okay... different approach.

I keep all my music in a DIFFERENT FOLDER THAN THE "MUSIC" FOLDER created by the system and label it My Music. Works fine

In the original MUSIC folder the iTunes FOLDER has another folder iTunes Music and two folders and an .xml:

Automatticaly Add to iTunes

Music

sub folder Unknown Artist

unknown album

iTunes Music Library.xml

Makes me wonder which of those might be deleted and see what happens to iTunes automatically changing the icons.... each time MY MUSIC folder opens, the icons are all QT and then slowly from the bottom up hundreds change to iTune icon.

That step is what I want to interrupt.

How to deactivate or uninstall or remove iTunes in 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.