Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a 3rd generation iPad running iOS7.0.2, and since updating to iOS7, it will not mirror to an AppleTV. The devices will connect, but the video monitors show only a blank screen. The AppleTV's work fine with various other iOS & OSX devices. Ideas?

I have three AppleTV's where I work. I have two at home. I have an iPhone 4S running iOS7.0.2 which mirrors smoothly via AirPlay. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro and a 2011 iMac, both running Mountain Lion, both of which mirror smoothly through AirPlay. I have a 3rd generation iPad running iOS7.0.2, and since updating to iOS7, it will not mirror. The iPad will connect to the AppleTV, but the TV's and projectors only show a black screen when connected: the iPad screen looks as it should, except that the transitions become jumpy when connected via AirPlay. This is true on both networks: at home and at work. Another gentleman using the network where I work has the most recent iPad, also running iOS7.0.2, and he is having the same problem. I have tried to "Reset All Settings." I have tried to "Restore." Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone else experience difficulty mirroring the iPad through AirPlay since the release of iOS7.0.2?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 7:54 PM

13 replies

Oct 15, 2013 11:27 PM in response to MaCain

No problems exists with the router (on either network described above) or the multiple AppleTV's which are able to mirror multiple other OSX & iOS devices seamlessly. The problem is strictly with the iPad and iOS7.

The following information was helpful:

Big Apple fan

Re: AirPlay with AirServer connectivity problem

Oct 14, 2013 9:43 AM (in response to ceb2652)

This is an iOS 7 AirPlay mirroring bug...

To make matters worse, the iPad automatically drops its mirroring session 45 seconds after it auto-locks.

3-4 mirroring sessions is all it takes for the iPad mirroring to freeze up.

After this happens, mirroring to an Apple TV only projects a blank screen.

Once the mirroring is hung, the only way to fix it is to restart the iPad.

Apple please fix this iOS 7 issue!

Nov 6, 2013 7:07 AM in response to JimHdk

Jim

I wanted to know if you attempted to recreate the scenario we are having. Out of the box Airplay mirroring is great. I installed multiple AppleTV's into a doctors office for exam rooms and multiple brand new ipads are used to mirror to them. Each ipad is using the latest iOS 7.0.3 update and the first couple connections are flawless. After the 3rd or fourth airplay mirroring connection (Doctor walking from room to room showing charts) the TV screen goes black and the iPad just crawls along. I went out and bought an iPad that had iOS 6 on it to compare and iOS 6 fixes the issue. I have been able to repeat this same behavior at my customers office, my office, and my home using 7 appleTVs and 6 different ipads running iOS7.

What model iPad are you using? All of mine have been iPad 3 or greater.

Nov 19, 2013 5:50 PM in response to MaCain

This seems to be happening to a lot of people The best thing to do is file a report to Apple Feedback.

Resetting it after every 3rd or 4th connection is just not practical in an educational setting. Apple really needs to address this issue. We all need to describe this problem to Apple Product Feedback because Apple at least looks at those and not all of these threads in Apple Support Communities.

Go to Apple.com/feedback and follow the links to raise their awareness of the issue and get it fixed.

Nov 19, 2013 8:20 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

Mine are all updated to 7.0.4 and the Apple TV is updated to the latest update, as well. The problem still exists on all 3 third gen iPads. The problem was recreated at my home with my Apple TV. Same problem as at school with the Apple TV there. The Genius Bar at the Apple store also witnessed the problem on their network with their Apple TV when I brought all 3 iPads in. They even pulled one of their third gen iPads from the back room and the same thing happened to their iPad third gen.

I am intriqued that Joseph Kriz is not experiencing a problem with his. My classroom has 3 iPad 2s and 3 third gen iPads and only the iPad 2s work with apple tv.

Again, Apple.com/feedback needs to get a report from everyone experiencing this problem.

Dec 10, 2013 5:56 AM in response to MaCain

I also get this issue in the company I work for. We have about 30 apple TVs and 1100 iPads. It seems to be an IOS7 issue and the only way to fix it is to restart the apple TV box. This is not conveniant in our enviroment where users are not too sure on what to do.

I can't believe nothing from Apple has been said about this? Restarting the Apple Box is not a permanent fix / solution. There have been 4 small IOS updates and it still hasn't been fixed.

Jan 20, 2014 4:42 PM in response to Rob Robionson

I have the same problem. Airplay works just fine with 5G iPod & Apple TV. When I try to do the same thing with same Apple TV & 3G iPad, the TV screen goes blank. All devices have latest updates. I repowered the Apple TV to no avail. I can't do my Keynote presentations with the iPod since it doesn't show enough of the presenter notes. HELP!

I have a 3rd generation iPad running iOS7.0.2, and since updating to iOS7, it will not mirror to an AppleTV. The devices will connect, but the video monitors show only a blank screen. The AppleTV's work fine with various other iOS & OSX devices. Ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.