Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother usb Laser printer cannot be setup on An Airport Express

Brother model DCP-7060D. I set network to bridge after a frustrating 2 hors. I tried to reverse the firmware to earlier version ( the iPad mini automatically updated when I first connected it so I thought It would be helpful. It has caused me nothing but grief. I also tried using Brother's print utility App, but don't you know my printer model is one version just before the list. So I deleted that. dumped the history and cookies. No connection. Tried factory reset, and all new settings. All failed. I read every page of help and troubleshooting, multiple blogs, Apple help. It needs to go back to the store. Mr printer is less than a year old.

iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 6.1.4

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 8:20 PM

11 replies

Oct 16, 2013 7:08 AM in response to John Galt

I want to print from two iPads. (or other mobile devices) and I'm considering the elimination of a desktop area in the house since everyone is mobile. I also lost two PCs (due to MB failures) this past week and need to fill a gap while I'm deciding on a new laptop Possibly a Mac, maybe a Mac mini to hide away behind the TV . 1/2 the cost if I don't use apple product. The AE was at least going to help me short term, but now it adds the cost of a printer to the mix. The printer is less than a year old. I was NOT looking to replace it.

Oct 16, 2013 9:19 AM in response to SngingCamper

No doubt it's a good printer. If you decide to puchase a Mac, there are inexpensive as well as free workarounds to choose from that enable the Mac to act as an AirPrint print server, so that you can print from your iPad without having to purchase an AirPrint - enabled printer. The only equivalent PC product is now subscription-based and I no longer recommend it.

I'm not sure what products you are comparing to conclude it's half the cost of an Apple product. Over time, Apple products are the least expensive of any, by a substantial margin. After months of research, one large institution with which I have been affiliated reached that conclusion before deciding to invest 2.4 million dollars. Others eventually reached the same conclusion but only after wasting a lot more than that on PCs. They're now phasing them out and replacing them with Macs and iPads. Individual consumers are wise to perform similar research, especially if their discretionary cash is limited.

Oct 16, 2013 10:42 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the comments. You've made me curious about value comparison because most of my PCs have lasted about 5 years. Apple's own data has shown me that they last about 5 years. I'd like to convert.

My current situation is going to set me back about 1k using the AE I have now purchased, an upgrade to an AirPrint capable printer and a new Win laptop. ( which has the advantage of bringing in my backup image off the external drive.)

a Mac Mini ( with better specs) would set me to 1,500 so I MIS quoted earlier. There's convenience - there's an external drive needed.

Bottom line - I don't know all the ins and outs of wireless printing and I'm bracing for another painful surprise regardless of where I go with it. I'd be interested in what "shelf life" data Apple products you can point me to. I like the products, I just never have money laying around.

Oct 16, 2013 11:45 AM in response to SngingCamper

Essentially, I would not recommend buying any printer unless it was AirPrint - enabled. This concern is primarily in anticipation of a growing proliferation of iOS devices and less reliance on traditional desktops or portables. AirPrint requires no configuration, drivers, downloads, or wizards, it just works.

If you must run Windows, any Mac enables you to do that using Boot Camp. You can install Windows on a Mac but you can't install OS X on a PC.

... I just never have money laying around.

Few people do, which is the reason for allocating it wisely. Most choose to spend $500 on a Windows PC every other year rather than $1500 on a Mac every five. As one site proclaimed, ignorance is great for the economy.

Oct 16, 2013 11:49 AM in response to SngingCamper

SngingCamper wrote:

if I buy a Mac, I don't think there will be a "free" option as my printer will be in a separate room ...

Doesn't matter. If you use a Mac as an AirPrint print server, you can use an iPad to print to any printer that Mac can use. Wired USB, wireless, on your LAN or connected to an AirPort Express makes no difference.

I have printers that are literally decades old that an iPad can use. There's no reason to throw out a perfectly good printer.

Oct 17, 2013 6:29 AM in response to John Galt

I think you've answered my question. an AE needs a Mac, that also operates as a print server, to use a pre wireless enabled era printer. That's it?

My POV logic would imply that a PC would operate an older printer with a print server too? So there was no " value added" by the purchase of an AE other than AirPlay for streaming music. Also, a wireless incorporated printer I assume, doesn't need the print server functionality, therefore making the AE only good for the streaming feature regardless of having an older printer or not? The protocols and standards for whatever network infrastructure are problematic to understand for an average consumer like me.

Brother usb Laser printer cannot be setup on An Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.