📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage not working with one contact only

I am having trouble with imessage with one contact only. I can send and receive imessages from other contacts. But there is one contact who imessage will not work with from my end or their end. They are also able to imessage others.

I am able to send an imessage to this contact through messages app on my mac also.

I have an iphone 5 running iOS 7.0.2

They have an iphone 5s also running iOS 7.0.2

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 8:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2017 7:50 AM

How do you use the iCloud address with the contact, there is only one contact that I am unable to iMessage anymore, I've tried resetting the phone, turning iMessage off and on and re entering my iCloud address

18 replies

Feb 22, 2017 9:30 AM in response to Leroy18

I tried deleting the conversation thread with the contact I was having trouble imessaging, then I tried deleting and adding the contact and resetting my network settings and was still having the same problem however I shared my calendar with said contact and once I removed them from my shared calendar the problem disappeared

Oct 7, 2017 6:53 AM in response to Leroy18

I didn't want to delete my message thread and adding their email into contacts didn't work, so I figured out another way to get out of green text ****: I signed into iMessage on my laptop and texted the person through there and voila! When I went back into my iPhone, the coveted blue texts returned and I went on to lead my normal life.

Apr 20, 2014 4:31 AM in response to amcc0927

I am having the same problem. iMessage is working with selective people, but these selective people have working iMessage.

Things I have done to try fix this:

1. I reset my settings on my phone

2. Under settings, messages, I've tried turning off SMS/MMS, changing send & receive around - did not work

3. turned off iMessage and turned it back on again

4. re-booting my phone

5. I completely wiped my phone and restored it

Some of this helpd me fix some of the issue - yesterday my iMessage wouldn't even load - I was getting a network error when I tried too, and I could send a text message (not an iMessage), but I did not receive anything.

Now iMessage only works with selective contacts - doesn't matter if it's the 4S or 5. I know these contacts have working iMessage - because my iPad mini is fine! Same software - and same settings from what I can tell.

Any words of wisdom would help!

imessage not working with one contact only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.