Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant download new itunes 11.1, says needs OSX 10.6.8

tried plugging in my iphone4 as usual and now nothing comes up, says iPhone” cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 11.1 or later. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes. Then i got to download the Itunes 11.1 then is says This update requires OS X version 10.6.8 or later. Which all my stuff is up to date. Im so F'in confused!!!!!!!

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 9:09 PM

16 replies

Oct 15, 2013 9:25 PM in response to codeallen

codeallen wrote:

Which all my stuff is up to date...

Well, if you do not have at least OS X version 10.6.8 on your Mac, then indeed you are not up to date. The current version of OS X is 10.8.5. If you have a very old Mac, you may well not be capable of running the current OS X. You can check which one you are running right now by clicking "About This Mac" under the Apple logo in the menu bar.

Oct 15, 2013 10:10 PM in response to sberman

it is a little older of a macbook pro. It is running 10.5.8. and it says this when trying to update.Software Update doesn’t have any new software for your computer at this time. Which to me makes no sense, why they would make a itunes update thats not compatable with all OSX updates. I cant do anything with my phone, it wont even allow it to pop up on itunes.

Oct 15, 2013 10:21 PM in response to codeallen

I see why you are confused.

Please understand there is a big difference between "update" and "upgrade". You are running OS X 10.5.8 (Lion Leopard), and you do have the very latest software that can run under Lion Leopard.

But if you upgrade (which means you would have to spend some money) to Mountain Lion Snow Leopard(OS X 10.6), you would then be able to run more recent software.

You could purchase Snow Leopard here:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

You could then update (free) to OS X 10.6.8 and then run iTunes.

... or you could get even more current with OS X 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion) if your hardware supports it.

UPDATE - Sorry I got some names wrong above. They're right now.

Message was edited by: sberman

Oct 15, 2013 10:45 PM in response to MacinNW_Brent

Ohhhh ok. But see i dont want to buy that, and i dont even want the new itunes, but its making me. it says it wont support anything without 11.1 and like i said when i plug my iphone in, i cant even get into any iphone stuff through my itunes, it wont even let it pop up in there before it says it doesnt support it and need to upgrade to 11.1

Oct 16, 2013 11:34 AM in response to codeallen

If your iPhone 4 is on iOS 7, which requires at least iTunes 10.<something>, and you are not at least up to OS X 10.6.8, which is the minimum requierd to run that version of iTunes, then yes, your iPhone 4 will no longer work with iTunes on that computer.

This all makes perfect sense. Software communicates to each other (OS X <--> iTunes <---> iOS). What and how the communication occurs gets updated from time to time. If you update one component, others eventually need updating as well.

Oct 16, 2013 12:34 PM in response to codeallen

Well, codeallen, you are going to have the same problem, only worse with the iPhone 5. It will most likely come with iOS 7, which requires iTunes 11. With the 4 you can stop upgrading the iOS at 10.6.8 and iTunes 10.7. If you hurry you can still download iTunes 10.7, before they remove it, is still available at Apple Support. As I understand it, it is the only other version, besides 10.6.3 for PPC Macs, that is available, other than the current version.

I believe OS X 10.6 is available for $29.

With 10.6.8, you still have Rosetta, and do not need to replace several pieces of your other software. With 10.7, you will most likely need to upgrade other 3rd party software. So if you need to update MS Office, figure at least $100 to $200, more.

You have a choice, stick to your guns about not updating your OS some, and have 2 iPhones you can not sync, or upgrade to OS X 10.6, and spend only about $29. Your choice, we just don't want to hear any whining. We're trying to give you a complete picture of what to expect, which you apparently did not do when you updated the iPhone 4 to 11.1.

cant download new itunes 11.1, says needs OSX 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.