Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS Synology or WD or TC

Hello,

I want to have an online hard disk to access my files from anywhere and from both Windows and Mac computers and also use Time Machine with it.

1. Synology USB Station: 85euros

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=USB%20Station%202

I know it works with mac and TM, but does it support mac formatted drives?

2. Western Digital Live 2TB: 145euros

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280

I know it works with mac and TM, but can it be formatted in mac file system? Also no USB there

3. Time Capsule 2TB: 245euros

http://www.apple.com/airport-time-capsule/

Even the 5th generation model. Very expensive and will not support NTFS system. Is that a problem? Are those windows software that make pc's read mac format ok?

What is the most reliable choice? Maybe something else? I was advised not to trust very cheap devices but on the other hand I don't need to spend much money on something that is "luxury" (I mean having an online disk).

Thank you,

Nikos

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 2:59 AM

nikosalpha

I want to have an online hard disk to access my files from anywhere and from both Windows and Mac computers and also use Time Machine with it.

A: stay away from western digital.

B: The best cheapest option is the newest generation airport extreme with a 2 or 3TB attached Seagate 3.5" for $100 or $119 respectively you can use as a TM backup and access point for your Macs on your home network.........EXCEPT for the part where you mention you want access to same via your PC.

Since you have a macbook Air (i assume 2013??) the 802ac wifi speeds are just amazing out of the new 802ac wifi equipped Airport Extreme.., as I can firsthand attest to

Also gain is improved for at-distance use on Ipads and wifi with your Iphone.

For online access via your PC and Mac consider a 2TB NAS formatted in Exfat for dual read-writes from both your PC and Mac.

Time machine aside, you need an archive of your vital data, a Time Machine is a backup, not an archive. Consider the extreme importance of this point.

As for "cheap devices", there are only 4 conventional HD mfg. on earth now,....and the consumer grade WD 3.5" are the lowest performers.

However the ONLY consensus you can get out of the "HD experts" is that Hitachi 2.5" are the top of the heap respective to all other contenders.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2013 2:59 AM in response to nikosalpha

nikosalpha

A: stay away from western digital.

B: The best cheapest option is the newest generation airport extreme with a 2 or 3TB attached Seagate 3.5" for $100 or $119 respectively you can use as a TM backup and access point for your Macs on your home network.........EXCEPT for the part where you mention you want access to same via your PC.

Since you have a macbook Air (i assume 2013??) the 802ac wifi speeds are just amazing out of the new 802ac wifi equipped Airport Extreme.., as I can firsthand attest to

Also gain is improved for at-distance use on Ipads and wifi with your Iphone.

For online access via your PC and Mac consider a 2TB NAS formatted in Exfat for dual read-writes from both your PC and Mac.

Time machine aside, you need an archive of your vital data, a Time Machine is a backup, not an archive. Consider the extreme importance of this point.

As for "cheap devices", there are only 4 conventional HD mfg. on earth now,....and the consumer grade WD 3.5" are the lowest performers.

However the ONLY consensus you can get out of the "HD experts" is that Hitachi 2.5" are the top of the heap respective to all other contenders.

Oct 16, 2013 7:07 AM in response to nikosalpha

nikosalpha wrote:

You aren't very demanding, eh?

Time Machine is Mac technology. The only way you are going to get a Time Machine-compatible solution that also works with Windows is to have a non-Mac solution that "is faking it". That is 100% guaranteed to fail at some point. These forums are filled with people who tried that very thing with any number NAS devices and Time Machine.

Time Machine is for backups and you want those to be reliable. It is not technology that is compatible with consumer-grade hardware driven by 4 year-old open source software. Furthermore, Time Machine is far backups and backups only. It is not for archives and it is not for file sharing with Windows. Attempts to use it for things like that will only put its core functionality of reliable backups in jeopardy.

Buy a local disk to use for Time Machine. If you have multiple machines to backup or just want a wireless solution, maybe get a Time Capsule. Then solve the file sharing problem with a solution dedicated to that, such as DropBox, etc.

NAS Synology or WD or TC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.