Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artist name does not appear in artist list but album name is in album list - Ipod Classic 160gb

For an album I have imported onto my iPod from iTunes, the album name is in the Album list but the Artist name is not on the Artist list. I have tried deleting the album from the iPod and re-adding from ITunes but the same result. It is a single artist album, so the artist name is exactly the same for each track; all the tracks are there. Big nuisance as I use artist name a lot to find specific albums.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows XP

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 1:26 AM

10 replies

Jan 16, 2017 2:00 AM in response to the fiend

I have the same problem under macOS. Marking the tracks as being part of a compilation gets them to display as a single album in the Albums list, but does not show the individual artists in the Artists list. Unchecking the "Album is a compilation of songs by various artists" checkbox, however, although correcting the issue of listing the artists in the Artists list, causes the individual tracks to be shown as separate albums (all with the same artwork, of course) in the Albums list.

Is it a question of one thing or the other? (You either have a full Artists list, or you have a correct Albums list.)

Oct 16, 2013 11:27 AM in response to bolehill

In your iTunes Library, check the album to see if it is set as a compilation. (Highlight the album and select File/Get Info/Options and set Part of a Compilation to "No".

If it is - and - if you have Compilations set to "on" in the Music menu on your iPod, then the artist will not show up. (Yes, it's weird!)

The solution is to turn off the Part of a Compilation flag for this album in iTunes and then sync the iPod to iTunes.

The cause of this is that the music industry, who submit the information about the album to the database that iTunes uses, think that an album of previously released songs (by one artist) is a compilation. However, iTunes thinks that only an album with songs by several different artists is a compilation.

If you do have Compilations set to "on" (on the iPod), then I presume you have noticed that any artist who only appears on a compilation album is not listed under artists. If you turn off the Compilations (on the iPod) in both the Main menu and the Music menu, then every artist will show up in the artist list.

Feb 21, 2014 9:37 AM in response to ecb31

ecb31 wrote:

this did not work for me,

Possibly because your problem (you say) was the album name. The original post was about the artist name and is therefore a different problem.

ecb31 wrote:

...I had to fill in the Album for each song, then it showed on my ipod, for ones I did ot know, I just put bloody apple.

Huh?

Let me get this right, you had lots of songs without the album name in them, so you filled in the album name yourself - if you knew the album name. If you didn't know the album name, you then entered the same text on all the rest of those songs. So now, you must have a lot of songs all on the same album, even though they're not meant to be - and - you've put text in to a lot of your songs that will remind you forevermore, of just how unhappy you are.

Well! 😮 & 😕

My question to you is; where did you get the songs from, that they came without the correct information in them?

• If you imported them from a CD, iTunes will go and get the information for you.
  • If you bought the songs from the iTunes Store, or another music retailer, the information is in the digital file that you purchased.
  • How therefore, does so much of your music appear to be incomplete?

Am I missing something, or have you simply failed to explain the porblem properly?

Feb 21, 2014 1:45 PM in response to the fiend

Oh – I am really old! I have cds from the late 80’s and early 90’s before the age of digital really began in Australia, those songs don’t have any information attached to them, I really had to go and enter a album title for each one – about 200, (and it did not matter what I put there as I don’t care what the album name is unless I choose to search by album title, which I never do) - and only then will the song show in my iPod under the artist name (I find that pretty inadequate) of my new iPod, I did not have this problem on my old iPod classic - all those songs were listed under the artist name.

Feb 21, 2014 2:35 PM in response to ecb31

ecb31 wrote:

Oh – I am really old! I have cds from the late 80’s and early 90’s before the age of digital really began in Australia, those songs don’t have any information attached to them,

😮 I have CDs from the first days of CDs, and music now on CD from before the time of CDs. So you're making me feel old!

ecb31 wrote:

... those songs don’t have any information attached to them, I really had to go and enter a album title for each one – about 200...

Commercial CDs do not have the track information (used in iTunes) stored on the CD. When iTunes reads a CD, it (iTunes) goes off and checks with Gracenote, a non-Apple database, which supplies iTunes with all the song information for that CD. But you have to let iTunes do this. The setting is in Edit/Preferences:

User uploaded file

It will save you a lot of work if you use this in the future, particularly if your current iPod is having issues with incomplete album information. You're unlikely nowadays to many (if any) albums that Gracenote cannot find.

May 1, 2014 12:47 AM in response to the fiend

Hey, this is fab, I was trying to work out how I could see all the individual artists that are in my Compilations List on my iPod, together with all my other artists. Thank you so much for answering my query (that I didn't ask....lol). I am new to iTunes and whilst I have loaded over 4000 tracks now, it sometimes feels like I will never get any order to these songs....Thanks again 😀

Artist name does not appear in artist list but album name is in album list - Ipod Classic 160gb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.