Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet recovery launches automatically - why?

Hi all,

Maybe two separate issues here but trying to solve one has given rise to another more serious one.

I found that repairing permissions solves what appears to be buggy behaviour in Mail's search function.

Since moving to Lion I've repaired permissions by holding down apple R on boot and using terminals "reset password" function to repair permissions on my account.

However the last few times rather than taking me directly to the screen where it gives you the option of using disk utility, terminal etc it has launched directly into internet recovery and starts downloading from Apple.

I was a bit confused as to why it was doing this but I think I might be correct in understanding that it has detected an error, however I'm usure why it keeps doing this.

As I am curently without wifi it makes repairing permissions impossible as I cannot get past the screen where I select the wifi network to download the drecovery from.

Is there a log or something where I can check why it is detecting an error that needs interent recovery repeatedly?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 5:28 AM

6 replies

Oct 16, 2013 8:11 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Hi quicktimekirk - thanks for your help.

I'm afraid that the downloading that starts automatically isn't normal in my experience and has only occurred recently (i.e. the last 3 occasions).

As mentioned I've been using command R to access the reset password function regularly and this automatic commencement is new behaviour.

Oct 16, 2013 2:33 PM in response to tmx3

I agree that you should get the dialog window rather than an automatic download and I have no answer for that behavior except to wipe your drive completely and do an internet recovery (i.e. start over). There is some sort of glitch; I wouldn't call it a bug since I hadn't heard of it, but it's not the way it should be.

The other possibility is for you to stop by your nearest Genius Bar and ask for assistance there (help is free unless you need a repair).

Internet recovery launches automatically - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.