Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS will not connect to MLSever from external network

Hello all and thank you for any input you can provide to resolve this odd behavior.

Goal

Access server (incl. webdav) locally and remotely from other Macs and iOS devices; VPN on occasion.

Working

• AFP works both internally and externally. (both straight IP and dyndns name)

• VNC works both internally and externally. (both straight IP and dyndns name)

• VPN working.

• iOS devices will connect to the webdav on an internal network.

NOT Working

• Ability to access wevdav from external network.

-- iOS devices connect internally, indicating webdavs properly setup and working.

-- Able to access AFP and VNC remotely (via dyndns and IP)

indicating server is working, dyndns, server config, dns, forwards

etc. are working properly.

Error

"Unable to connect to server. The server may be down. Try again later or contact the network administrator."

Troubleshooting included:

• Ensuring short names were used; variety of naming options, no spaces etc.

• Trying different users (so not always the admin account logging in remotely)

• Various experiments in the Server app from dns edits to services.

• Yes, the shared folders have the webdav options selected.

• Yes, can reach other webdavs not related to the server (dropbox etc)

• Issues using iWork apps to connect, and independent webdav apps.

Environment

• MacMini (current) running 10.8.5

• ML Server; minimum config as only file sharing, vpn services are needed.

Let me know if I missed any important facts above. Appreciate any insights or direction.

-pr

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 6:00 AM

5 replies

Oct 16, 2013 5:08 PM in response to MrHoffman

Mr.Hoffman - thank you for the response. I'll need to see how that might work using VPN on the iOS device in terms of being able to open & save from the iOS devices. Good idea and I'll give it a go.

What would be gained by obtaining a static IP from the ISP vs. using dyndns (that is unless the ISP bills and treats the static IP to a business account and as such fully opening port 80?)

NICE: VPN option worked. Would prefer not to have to switch into VPN mode (if other options were available...but it works!)

Oct 17, 2013 7:04 AM in response to PixelRogue

With most every ISP I've encountered that offer business tiers of service, the business users are expressly permitted to run servers, and have access to all ports inbound and outbound.

Some ISPs offer static IP residential services, as well.

Separate from the issue of port blocks that are often concomitant with the dynamic IP tiers of service and while Dynamic DNS is handy for home use, it's not something I'd generally recommend for use with servers and with server-oriented protocols — among other details, distributed authentication is based on correctly-configured DNS services. Dynamic IP just gets to be a hassle with server-oriented network protocols and security, you'll end up relaying various traffic, even in the absence of ISP port blocks and related baggage.

iOS will not connect to MLSever from external network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.