Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to export Non-anamorphic 1:1 square pixel ratio Quicktime .mov with h264 encoding

Hi All

How would I go about exporting a file on final cut pro 7 to these specs Non-anamorphic 1:1 square pixel ratio Quicktime .mov with h264 encoding 720x576 PAL. I have tried to do it several times but I keep told it is wrong that "the image is getting compressed on its sides" if anyone can show me a step by step guide that would be great.

Thanks from mike

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 6:31 AM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2013 7:58 AM in response to mpike123

Export as a selfcontained quicktime using file: export: quicktime movie (not quicktime conversion) with current settings. Bring that file into compressor and apply the appropriate preset. Make sure the settings in the geometry panel are correct for pixel dimensions and pixel aspect ratio (square).

If you need help with compressor post back.

Oct 17, 2013 6:52 AM in response to mpike123

so duplicate the appropriate apple preset (I'd recommend apple: formats: quicktime: quicktime h264.

You can duplicate it by control clicking on the preset and choosing duplicate. This will create a duplicate in the settings: custom folder.

Double click on this duplicate to load it into the inspector. If the inspector isn't visible go to windows: inspector.

I''m assuming this is 4:3 material (not anamorphic 16:9)

There are 6 little boxes towards the top of the inspector. The second from the right is for the geometry panel.

User uploaded file

click save.

Now go to the frame controls panel (3rd from the left)

click the little gear wheel towards the top to enable editing and turn frame controls on

set the resizing filter to best. Even though you think compressor isn't resizing, it is changing from rectangular pixels to square and you will get much better quality by turning this on.

If your material is interlaced, you might want to deinterlace. I've set these controls appropriately, but if there's not a lot of movement in your material, you may be able to avoid this. Enabling these options with high quality will greatly increase your encoding times.

User uploaded file

You can do short tests in compressor by entering an in and out in the preview window. For longer files, if you have qmaster installed, you can greatly speed up the encoding process using distributed rendering.

Digital Rebellion has a great tutorial on this process

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/using_compressor_with_multiple_cores. html

It may seem a little daunting, but it will speed your compressor work up enormously and once you've figure it out, its a no-brainer.

how to export Non-anamorphic 1:1 square pixel ratio Quicktime .mov with h264 encoding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.