Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Stop Finder Search

When I finish with a routine search (from the finder) on my Mac I always just delete the search term. However, it continues to say "searching. . ." There is no close or "x" to stop it. It's not a problem because I can always just click somewhere else, but is this normal? I did a Google search to look into this problem and some places seem to indicate that there should be an "x" to stop the search but it's never visible on my Mac.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 7:11 AM

7 replies

Oct 16, 2013 1:42 PM in response to Tony T1

Thanks for the idea TonyT1 but it's not that the Finder is "stuck" or frozen or anything. There just isn't an obvious way to end a search. Since this happens every time I do a search for something, I've gotten in the habit of just clicking on something in my Favorites area since it's the shortest distance to go.

I'm not having any system issues, there just doesn't seem to be a way to end a search and I find that odd.

Thanks, though.

Oct 16, 2013 2:02 PM in response to Linc Davis

Yes, I understand that. I'm just wondering why there is no obvious way to stop the search. Rather than having to find other things to click on to get out of it, I'd expect there to be an "x" on the right side of the search box. That's what you have if you do a spotlight search. The way it works now seems kind of inelegant – not what one would expect. Surely I'm not the only one who's wondered about this.

Can't Stop Finder Search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.