Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my Canon Elura40 minidv camcorder is not recognized by firewire: get error message: Unable to list FireWire devices

I've contacted Panasonic because its model PV-GS9 isn't recognized via firewire on my iMac that has a firewire port and they're just sorry they cannot help.

I've contacted Canon because its model Elura40 isn't recognized via firewire on my iMac and they cannot help. They tell me to contact you.

The camera that does get recognized is my Canon ZR950 which is now broken because it was dropped. It gets recognized but it plays the tape and sound at the wrong speeds. So I have 3 minidv camcorders and I cannot get any of them to work so that I can get movies off my numerous mini cassette tapes.

Is there any work around. I've tried every support recommendation (cutting on and off the camera, the computer, imovies, checking the cable, and of course the obvious...making sure it's the firewire not the USB cord...) Can anyone help?

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Have two imacs

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:36 AM

Sometimes a simple restart of your Mac can fix it. If not:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1059

2 replies

Oct 16, 2013 9:53 AM in response to Klaus1

Thank you, did that and nothing...however, I "tricked" imovies into believing the Panasonic camcorder was the Canon camcorder (which is broken by the way). When I plugged the broken Canon in with the firewire it of course got recognized by imovies (since I've been using this one and it worked) so I detached the connection to the Canon (undid the firewire) and stuck it in the already turned on Panasonic and it didn't even blink...immediately I could import. I switched tapes while the Panasonic was hooked up and imovies didn't crash (which is what it continued to do as I tried to get Panasonic recognized). How bizarre that this would work. I don't have to understand why it did, but if I can use the Canon to jumpstart the Panasonic what the heck! I'm sure techs wouldn't have come up with this and certainly most people aren't have a dual camera problem. Who knew? Hope it works when I try this again.

my Canon Elura40 minidv camcorder is not recognized by firewire: get error message: Unable to list FireWire devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.