Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound during playback (but sound effects are working)

Was there a bad incremental update in the last 24 hours? Woke up this morning to find that my 2nd Gen Apple TV has gone mute. But only during playback of videos or music. The clicking sound effect during navigation comes through just fine. Tried this over HDMI and the Digital out, with both a receiver and directly to the tv. Also tried it with multiple apps so it isn't app specific. Hope Apple fixes this soon.

AppleTV 2

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 9:39 AM

Have you tried adjusting the "Audio Out" and the "Dolby Digital" settings in settings > audio and video? It may be worth trying several combinations of these settings, although typically it is the "Dolby Digital" setting that causes most problems for users.

Also make sure that you have correctly mapped the input port on your sound system to the output, if you are unsure about how to do this, refer to the manual that came with your sound system.

Have you tried playing various content sources (i.e. podcasts, music, iTunes Store video, other video etc), do you have the same problem with all types of content? If you use optical you might also check that you can see a red light at the end of your optical audio cable. Is your optical audio cable plugged straight into your sound system, or does it go through a switch or other device?

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2013 9:39 AM in response to ccperkdog

Have you tried adjusting the "Audio Out" and the "Dolby Digital" settings in settings > audio and video? It may be worth trying several combinations of these settings, although typically it is the "Dolby Digital" setting that causes most problems for users.

Also make sure that you have correctly mapped the input port on your sound system to the output, if you are unsure about how to do this, refer to the manual that came with your sound system.

Have you tried playing various content sources (i.e. podcasts, music, iTunes Store video, other video etc), do you have the same problem with all types of content? If you use optical you might also check that you can see a red light at the end of your optical audio cable. Is your optical audio cable plugged straight into your sound system, or does it go through a switch or other device?

Oct 16, 2013 9:56 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I'll repeat again that the Apple TV sound effects are clearly audible through my TV and receiver, meaning it isn't a cable connection or sound setting issue. I rebooted and still have the problem. I think this is an OS issue. I've also noticed some bugs regarding logins for Hulu Plus and other apps. This OS build is not stable and wasn't in beta either.

Oct 16, 2013 10:11 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I understand that. I've use this Apple TV daily over the past three years though without issues and didn't make any settings changes recently which I wh yI think it might be a software bug. Settings also do not explain why it will still feed audio and video from Airplay through to my TV. The OS 6.0 for Apple TV was horribly buggy during the beta (I'm a developer and had access to the build) and it seems like bug fixes were not a priority for Apple during the iOS rollout. Also experiencing bugs in Hulu Plus login (won't stay logged in and crashes) and the Home Sharing. Going to plug it in to my computer and do a restore with iTunes to get it to a clean state and see if that fixes the issues.

Oct 16, 2013 10:28 AM in response to ccperkdog

Settings also do not explain why it will still feed audio and video from Airplay through to my TV.

That would make sense, AirPlay strips out 5.1 and converts the stream to a stereo 48 KHz stream, AirPlay working and direct play not is an obvious candidate for suggesting a settings issue, however I do admit that I'd have expected your music to play, unless that too is encoded unusually.

Beta software is supposed to be buggy, that's the whole purpose of a beta program, to find them and remove them. If you are a developer, you agreed to an NDA in which you agreed to not even mention your participation outside of the program itself.

I don't use Hulu but have none of the other problems you mention. Your Apple TV may well ultimately need restoring but your refusal to check the audio settings is a little fatuous.

Oct 16, 2013 11:19 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Sorry if I came off a bit testy. I use the Apple TV daily in my work environment for background noise and the issues totally derailed my workflow this morning.

So, I tried adjusting audio settings for both Dolby Digital and Audio Out. No luck.

Last resort time. Hardwired (USB cable) to my laptop and restored via iTunes. Success, audio fuctional across all apps. Not the best of solutions because of the time required to restore accounts for the various 3rd party apps on the Apple TV but it worked.

Guess I will never know what caused the 'no audio" issue though I suspect a bad/failed auto update. As convenient as that new feature is, it doesn't help when things go wrong.

A final note, beta software is supposed to be buggy, I undertstand. Production stuff isn't. I've been a loyal Apple user for 20+ years now because of their quality control. I've used competing products too and felt very annoyed at the lack of QC (looking at you Google TV). I would love to see quicker addressing of bugs on the Apple TV OS because a bad experience is what drives less-technical users away. It is a real game changer device if Apple were to even attempt to give it the level of support that other products get. Anyways, that's my soapbox moment.

Oct 16, 2013 12:02 PM in response to ccperkdog

I think you are probably correct about the corrupt install. I think it's unfortunate for Apple that their device is so reliant on the network, there are indeed more people who have issues with their Apple TV's as a result of networking than Apple would like, but I'm not so sure there is a solution to that though because even if you use their networking equipment the possibility of interference and range issues occurring are outside of their control. Although to be fair it's not just Apple that face such issues.

No sound during playback (but sound effects are working)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.