Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

running slow

Below are my data re system and computer. Running Snow Leopard. I have noticed a slowdown in performance across the board, but epecially when browsing, even opening my home page. Anyone else? It could be the provider (ATT 3-6gB d/l) but it seems to occur with different browsers (default is chrome, and I use firefox and safari as alt).

Saw an email ad for intego washing machine, claoms to 'speed up your Mac". Any thoughts, or better yet, possible solutions. (Hey ~ I'm not a tech, and would rather not undertake registry changes, etc. If I can keyboard into a fix, thats great.

Have patience, and thank for your help.

iMac 27"-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:41 AM

Chrome is bloatware, switch to Firefox instead.

ATT 3-6gB d/l is rather pitiful and Uverse is running other stuff, TV and phone etc, 15GB or 25GB Comcast is much better, like night and day.

All software that claims to speed up your Mac is crap.

Only by understanding how computers work and then optimizing your system accordingly will result in a always fast machine.

Sometimes there is a problem with the machine or drive, or background anti-virus or software corruption responsible.

Read through these links and backup beforehand

Most commonly used backup methods

Why is my computer slow?

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

For Snow Leopard Speed Freaks

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2013 8:41 AM in response to deltone

Chrome is bloatware, switch to Firefox instead.

ATT 3-6gB d/l is rather pitiful and Uverse is running other stuff, TV and phone etc, 15GB or 25GB Comcast is much better, like night and day.

All software that claims to speed up your Mac is crap.

Only by understanding how computers work and then optimizing your system accordingly will result in a always fast machine.

Sometimes there is a problem with the machine or drive, or background anti-virus or software corruption responsible.

Read through these links and backup beforehand

Most commonly used backup methods

Why is my computer slow?

..Step by Step to fix your Mac

For Snow Leopard Speed Freaks

Nov 11, 2013 9:30 AM in response to ds store

Hi. After reading your reply, I have thought about uninstalling Chrome. I am aware that Google likes to have their tentacles everywhere they can reach, so a question is: How can I TOTALLY uninstall Chrome, without (1) disturbing libraries, other apps, data, etc? or (2) damaging safari or firefox files?

I have used AppDelete with good results for some programs, and even had a problem with some stubborn program and used "TrashIt" and it got rid of some small files that were giving me trouble. (over a year ago..) So, is AppDelete the best way to get rid of Chrome, or would it take away some functionability of other apps, programs, etc?

Thanks,

F

Nov 11, 2013 9:35 AM in response to ds store

BTW, ATT DSL is all that is available here, unless I want to jettison phone, internet, et al, and go to cable. In my area, if a car hits a pole 4 miles out of town, cable goes down, sometimes for a day or two. I'm not sure about privacy/quality of something like DishNet (satellite connection) . As soon as higher speed connection without having to resort to cable (cable is the most expensive method for internet, as well as TV in my area) comes available, I will get it.

Nov 11, 2013 9:38 AM in response to ds store

Hi. After reading your reply, I have thought about uninstalling Chrome. I am aware that Google likes to have their tentacles everywhere they can reach, so a question is: How can I TOTALLY uninstall Chrome, without (1) disturbing libraries, other apps, data, etc? or (2) damaging safari or firefox files? I have used AppDelete with good results for some programs, and even had a problem with some stubborn program and used "TrashIt" and it got rid of some small files that were giving me trouble. (over a year ago..) So, is AppDelete the best way to get rid of Chrome, or would it take away some functionability of other apps, programs, etc? Thanks, F

Nov 14, 2013 2:55 PM in response to ds store

ds store,

I have spent a little time, and read some of your answers to questions, mostly regarding Chrome. It appears to me that you don't love Chrome, and you have given sufficient reasons as to why. So, I think i'm about to get rid of Chrome. I have AppDelete, which will get rid of the Chrome folder, as well as all data attached to Chrome. Are you familiar with AppDelete? Is it as good as any other way of getting rid of Chrome? I also saw your articles regarding a trojan that come in via Chrome. Whats up with that, and will deleting Chrome also take care of any trojans introduced by Chrome?
I appreciate your expertise. I hope to not wear your patience thin, but I am not TOO techy, and really like your common sense and lay-person directions when it comes to taking care of my iMac.
Thanks. I really hope to hear from you on this matter. I have used and liked Firefox for years, but lately Chrome has let me read a local online newpaper that has both the beginning and the end of sentences cut of when I try Firefox. HopefullyI can find a fix for that also.Thank You.

Deltone

running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.