Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Incorrect for gmail - but it is correct

Recently, I had to remove my gmail account from my iPad (ios7).

When I tried to add it back, I get the message "Cannot Get Mail - the user name or password for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect.

But the password is correct - I used the same one on my Windows laptop and Android phone - even during the period since the iPad is telling me its incorrect.

Please help.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2013 10:37 AM

If you have 2-step verification set up for your gmail account, you will need to generate an application-specific password for your iphone applications (because those apps apparently don't support 2-step verification).

Go into your google account, look in accounts/security/2-step verification, there is a link called "Manage your application specific passwords" Use that to generate a special password for your iphone apps and use that instead of your usual gmail password on your phone.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 21, 2013 10:37 AM in response to benrobins

If you have 2-step verification set up for your gmail account, you will need to generate an application-specific password for your iphone applications (because those apps apparently don't support 2-step verification).

Go into your google account, look in accounts/security/2-step verification, there is a link called "Manage your application specific passwords" Use that to generate a special password for your iphone apps and use that instead of your usual gmail password on your phone.

Apr 16, 2014 8:40 PM in response to junesake

I had this problem but no two-factor authenification was set for my account. This posting at http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/971486 had the following instructions:

1. Quit all mail clients that are accessing the affected Gmail account. This means the Mail app on the iPhone and any other place you are accessing your Gmail from such as a computer.

2. Open Safari on the affected iPhone and navigate to this page: http://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

3. Enter your full Gmail address, password and type the characters you see in the picture. Touch the unlock button to verify your account.

4. Open the Mail app and your Gmail access should be restored.

I had actually deleted the gmail account in step 1 and then created it again in step 4 and that worked for me.

Password Incorrect for gmail - but it is correct

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.