Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up wife's iPhone

I just received my iPhone 5s and set it up without a problem. I want to let my wife have my iPhone 4s. Currently she is using a Pantech Hot Shot which has a really terrible interface. I called Verizon and had the number transfered from her old phone to to the 4s. She will use it as a phone and mainly for pictures, iMessage Contacts and G-mail. What is the best way to set this up? Should I create a new Apple ID for her? Or can she use my ID?

I want her to be able to use my Contacts, receive photos shared to me by our son. Have an independent iMessge account and her own "E-Mail" account. Currently she uses G-Mail.She will use very few Apps if I have to repurchase a few for her, that will not be a big deal.

Should I restore the phne to New Phone settings?

I don't know why this has me so confused but currently I'm lost.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 10:07 AM

4 replies

Oct 16, 2013 10:51 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for the help Lawrence. I think I've got it pretty much set up for her with her own iMessages, and e-mail, Reminders and Contacts and Calendar are shared with me.

My question is with photos. I have a lot on my phone film roll which is stored ini Cloud, how would she be able to see them? My kids and I share pictures on PhotoStream, how can she see those pictures?

I will appreciate any thoughts you have.

Oct 17, 2013 7:51 AM in response to jackfrommontague

PhotoStream is not a long term solution. There is a limit to the number of images and how long they are kept.

It isn't a good idea to keep photos long term in your Camera Roll, either; it slows down the camera function, and, if the phone is lost or damaged you can lose them. One way is to connect the phone to your computer periodically and copy them to a photo app on your computer where you can organize them, then upload them to the Photo album app on your phone and their's.

Another alternative is to use a cloud-based server, and upload all of your photos to it. You can selectively allow access to your family and anyone else you want to see them. I use Google's Picasa, and the app MyPics, which both displays my Picasa albums and allows me to create new ones from the phone. They can be public, private, or selectively made available.

Shutterfly has a similar capability.

If you are always sharing with the same small group then Dropbox is a good solution. It is free for up to 50GB, and you can add additional for each new subscriber you recommend (like your family). You can access your Dropbox folders from your phones, iPad, computers, or any web browser. You install the free Dropbox app on each device.

How to set up wife's iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.