Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is Library/Application Support/Address Book in Time Machine backup ???

I made a fresh install and wanted to copy the file http://www.marco.org/2011/09/10/adding-to-apple-mail-autocomplete to save nuisance with no autocomplete with new mail (as I did last time). But why there is no Address book folder in Library/Application Support as is in the original Library (as I backuped yesterday) ??

Similarly - where is Skype folder (it is in the laptop system/library Application Support but not in the same folder in Time Machine (to copy the chat history).

Where can it be found ? Why Apple makes things so uneasy ?

original Library with the file I need from yesterday backup:

User uploaded file

Library from yesterday backup as found on Time Machine:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 9:35 AM

19 replies

Jul 24, 2017 6:52 AM in response to savita88

I have same problem that whole Application Library folder excluded from the backup. After some investigation, I found this: macos - On OS X, what files are excluded by rule from a Time Machine backup? - Ask Different

Some files marked as 'excluded' by some applications automatically, and we never know about this. I think that's what happened to your Address Book folder.

Oct 16, 2013 9:47 AM in response to savita88

The ~Library folder effective with Lion 10.7.x

See

http://pondini.org/TM/15A.html

Apple hides the ~/Library folder (meaning the Library folder inside your home folder), from users, apparently to protect us mere mortals from messing with it. That's kind of a problem when we needto.

To see it on a Finder window before entering Time Machine, hold the Alt/Option key while selecting the Go item in the menubar. That will produce a list of common places, including Library (about halfway down). Or, press Shift+Cmd+G and type ~/Library in the prompt. That will show it in the Finder window, and also in the Finder windows once you're in the "Star Wars" display.

If you forget to to do that first, once you're in the "Star Wars" display, press Shift+Cmd+G and type~/Library in the prompt.

(To make it visible permanently, on a "normal" Finder window, drag it into the sidebar.)

Oct 16, 2013 10:11 AM in response to Barney-15E

I really don't understand those instructions: If I hold alt/option before GO in the finder menu, I see Library there in the menu list (as I hold ALT) - common thing. I enter it, enter Application support - Address book. The Enter Time Machine, I see the "universe" but with the SAME folder as I have now (created today) - NOT with yesterday or any past backups.There is nothing to restore. I really don't understand what shall I do to see the same folder Library /Application support/Address book in the Time machine backup

Oct 16, 2013 11:24 AM in response to savita88

Those aren't the same folders. The top is your user folder and the bottom appears to be /Library.

You've cut off the full path, so I can't tell for sure. Are you entering TM with your user library open, or are you trying to navigate there after entering TM? It's much easier if you have it open in Finder before you enter.

As to deleting an app, especially a system app, I think that is bad advice. Also, it doesn't sound like you finished the instructions by installing the combo update. Installing a combo update may repair the damage you caused to the system. It doesn't matter that you already have that version installed; it will reinstall al the previous updates. If the App Store was in one of the previous updates, it will get repaired.

Oct 16, 2013 3:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

I never deleted a system application. I just made a fresh clean installation, that's all. And wanted then use some data from the backup.

But it seems to be quite a mess in the Apple operation system ...especially in the backup (that was supposed to be just a mirror ? Those secretely hidden and untraceable multiple "libraries" are not really helping much ...

Oct 16, 2013 5:56 PM in response to savita88

My apologies. I've got my threads mixed up re deleting apps. Now I've got to figure out where that was supposed to go.

The multiple libraries are confusing, and hiding the user library didn't help matters.

There are three Libraries. One for the OS, one for all users, and one for each user.

The Time Machine backup does appear to be a mirror, but it is not quite. However, that doesn't change what you are seeing and what you are doing.

Those two screen shots are not the same folders. One is a user Library and the other is the all users Library.

You can obviously get to your user Library since you are displaying it above. Once you do that, don't change a thing. Just Enter Time Machine. It should open to that same folder. You can confirm it is your Library because it will be inside your Home folder. The All Users Library is inside the root of the hard drive (Macintosh HD).

Oct 17, 2013 2:49 PM in response to savita88

savita88 wrote:

The problem is - I cannot enter the same Library folder in the Time Machine backup. If I am there in the computer and do "enter Time machine" - I see exactly the same folder as before, updated today, not from the backup, only the background changes

Sorry. I don't understand. What's the "same" folder. You user Library folder or the main all users Library?

If you don't see any backups beyond the current, then you need to repair your Time Machine backup disk in Disk Utility. http://pondini.org/TM/A5.html

However, i don't know if that will help. It just might not have backed it up.

Where is Library/Application Support/Address Book in Time Machine backup ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.