Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Hub for Perphierals

I have a total of 6 usable USB ports on my new iMac, 4 on the back, 2 on the extended keyboard. The computer gets: keyboard, backup drive, Hub, and DVD drive. The Keyboard gets: trackball and drawing pad. The Hub gets: printer and scanner (so far). I tried to add speakers to the hub and they will not work. I'm tired of having to go around to the back side of my computer and switch out USB plugs. Isn't there a hub out there that will power peripherals as simple as a set of speakers?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 10:27 AM

12 replies

Oct 16, 2013 3:33 PM in response to Dulany Lingo

If your speakers are asking for a lot of power you may need to leave them plugged into the iMac or rearrange the devices on the hub to pair the speakers with devices that are low power. Or do like Klaus wisely suggested and buy another powered hub just for the speakers.

But do read the speaker documentation, I've had some that specifically say they will not work with a hub.

Oct 16, 2013 3:38 PM in response to Dulany Lingo

The only hubs I've used that provided wide power to every port was back when I was working and they were quite expensive, in the $450 to $600 range. They are easily available but you can get one.

I'm still using an old Kensington hub that provides decent power to multiple devices.

Try using the speakers with your hub and nothing else connected. Assuming this is a powered hub if they do not work then you aren't going to be able to use them with any hub.

Oct 16, 2013 3:52 PM in response to deggie

These are speakers I bought from Apple because they said they could run from a hub. (Sigh...) All I did was buy the newest iMac (skinny one) and this problem presented itself. I used them with the hub on my last iMac. Actually I have run into more problems than I have ever had in my lifetime with Apple since I upgraded to LION. I have had a Mac since 1986 and actually give classes in PhotoShop CS6. So I'm not a complete 'dummie' just a discouraged one. Most of the upgrades these days are just not necessary to me. I do not do web design except for myself. PhotoShop is the worst.

Actually I think my next step might be to call several major companies that make Hubs and question them. The one I have is a 5 port by Tripp-Lite, and I like their back-up batteries.

Best Hub for Perphierals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.