Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPad a viable computer for an advertising writer?

I am a freelance advertising copywriter and am wondering which computer to go with: iPad, Air, or lower-end MacBook (it has to be portable)? Most of my work is word processing though I do need to be able to view Docs in InDesign, Photoshop and other graphics programs, the occasional Excel doc, as well as view videos and listen to audio. At most, I would have to store one or two of these files for a few hours before I could save them to a hard drive. I am thinking an iPad with a wireless keyboard or the Logitech keyboard cover would be able to handle everything especially given I can work in Pages and sending to others as a Word doc. If not, other than the weight, what advantage does Air offer me since it seems to cost the same as the 13" MacBook? In case it makes any difference, I will have access to a brand new, top-of-the-line iMac at home and a couple TB external hard drives. I appreciate any feedback. The timing is not urgent.

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 1:24 PM

Since you have access to a full, current iMac, I would think that an iPad would probably be just fine as long as the apps you need for viewing the documents exist, I have found only one app that can view PhotoShop and InDesign documents, SneakPeek, and the reviews are poor. An iPad with a wireless keyboard isn't that much smaller and lighter than an 11" MacBook Air, though, so make sure that an iPad will indeed do what you want before choosing an iPad over an Air.

The advantage of an Air over a 13" MacBook Pro is weight and thinness.

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2013 1:24 PM in response to zadnor1

Since you have access to a full, current iMac, I would think that an iPad would probably be just fine as long as the apps you need for viewing the documents exist, I have found only one app that can view PhotoShop and InDesign documents, SneakPeek, and the reviews are poor. An iPad with a wireless keyboard isn't that much smaller and lighter than an 11" MacBook Air, though, so make sure that an iPad will indeed do what you want before choosing an iPad over an Air.

The advantage of an Air over a 13" MacBook Pro is weight and thinness.

Regards.

Is iPad a viable computer for an advertising writer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.