Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just upgraded my iPad Mini to iOS7. Asking for a passcode

I've never given my iPad Mini a passcode.

I've just upgraded it to iOS7. The process never asked me for a passcode, either. Then, when I started it up after the upgrade, the first thing it asked for was a passcode.

I tried the usual "default" type codes, like 1111 and 0000 but it has now locked me out and says the device is "disabled".

Any ideas, please? How can I get this thing working again, and avoid the same happening again?

Thanks.

Tom

iPad, iOS 7.0.2, iPad mini

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 12:57 PM

7 replies

Oct 16, 2013 1:12 PM in response to lizdance40

No, sorry, you're not right. It was asking me to enter a passcode, not set a new one. I entered 1111 and theres a piece on screen that waggles from side to side, as if to say "no". I tried two more common default numbers and it then told me the iPad was "disabled". I have since found posts elsewhere, via Google, that say this is an issue to do with the "Find my iPad" utility. Looking like I will have to return to factory default and restore.

Tom

Oct 16, 2013 1:15 PM in response to Tomp2

The same happened to me when I updated to ios7 , but ironicly I notice that I too am asked to punch restriction passcode 2weeks after update. I have the iPad 2 and I know for certain I didn't set a restriction passcode before or after ios7 update.....Apple like many other top marketers on being sneaky SPYING on people to spy and cover their tracks and giving them some lame a** excuses to justify their means...

Oct 16, 2013 1:25 PM in response to Tomp2

I have been pointed to part 4 of this article as evidence this is a common issue: http://www.news.com.au/technology/smartphones/things-i-learned-from-ios-7/story- fn6vihic-1226727541161

As I write, I am in the middle of recovering from backup after going into recovery mode (the iPad, not me personally - that comes later). Thanks to JimHdk for the links. What I don't know yet is whether the same farce will repeat itself with the newly backed up iPad.

Stay tuned.

Tom

Oct 16, 2013 1:36 PM in response to Tomp2

OK, success.

Used recovery mode and restored from the backup created as part of the iOS7 upgrade. This time, when the iPad started, it asked me things like whether I wanted Location Services on, and THEN said that if I wanted to use "Find my iPad" I'd need a passcode. On the previous start up, all these introductory steps were missing and the iPad went straight to asking me for a (non-existent) passcode. This is clearly an example of the installation bug mentioned in the Australian news item I posted above.

Anyhow, I now seem to be running, with no loss of data, just a fraught hour of my time.

For others, this might also be useful: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

Tom

Just upgraded my iPad Mini to iOS7. Asking for a passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.