Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro or MacBook Pro with retina

Hi,

I am in need of some advice from some fellow mac users!

I am going to purchase a macbook for work related tasks. Creating videos of products, newsletters and documents. I will also use it for personal use - iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, browsing the web etc.

Scenario 1

MacBook Pro non retina display 13 inch with the standard 4 GB ram and 500 GB hardrive. I will upgrade to either 8 or 16 GB of ram and then purchase a 256 SSD. I will do this independently as I can save quite a bit of money that way!

Am I also worth paying the little more for the i7 - 2.9ghz compared to the standard i5 2.5? Or won't that make a noticeable difference.

Scenario 2

Purchase the MacBook Pro retina display but only get 8 GB of ram and the 128 SSD.

I won't be able to upgrade any of this on the MPR. Is the retina really worth all of this??

Scenario 3

Purchase a MacBook Air 13 inch with 1.7 ghz and 8 GB and 256 SSD.

Personally I love the look and feel of the MacBook Air, but I'm worried it won't perform that well for alot of video editing. This is where the Mac mini may come in handy though?

I will probably look to get a cheap Mac mini this year and boost it with 8 GB of ram and 512 SSD.

This is my firsts at on here.... I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback!!!

Sam

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 12:56 PM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2013 1:05 PM in response to Samwaltham48618

Samwaltham48618 wrote:

Creating videos of products, newsletters and documents. I will also use it for personal use - iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, browsing the web etc.

Your clearly in the 15" MacBook Pro camp when you mentioned video production, the 13" and Mac Air lack a more powerful dedicated graphics chip and are basically $400 office PC's in a fancy case with a logo. They overheat if you push them.

You could do a combination of Air + MacPro or iMac.

I wouldn't touch the Retinas with a ten foot pole, the non-Retina's can handle 16GB of RAM and upgrade to a SSD.

The 15" will last longer through software upgrades, provided it's well taken care off.

If your harsh on portable machines, perhaps something that just does the basics cheaply (Windoze), leave a nice Mac at home where your $2000 will last 5-7 years on the desktop.

Don't neglect your PC training, all the businesses use it.

MacBook Pro or MacBook Pro with retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.