12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2013 5:03 PM by red_menace
Apple_For_The_Win Level 1 Level 1

If there is a way to do this, how could I, in Xcode 5, cocoa applescript? Something like:

Display dialog "Hello Red_Menace" attached to MyWindow

I know sheets can do this, but this seems a lot more simple, because I wouldn't have to design a window and link it.

Solved by red_menace on Oct 16, 2013 5:03 PM Solved

The alert sheet example in my first reply is modal.  There is another method in the category that doesn't have a timeout - it would just be:

showOver_calling_(mainWindow, {"sheetDismissed:", me})

Reply by red_menace on Oct 16, 2013 2:39 PM Helpful

I saw what you did there...

You don't necessarily need to create another window for simple alerts, you can use the NSAlert class.  I think there is still some weirdness with sheets, so the easiest way to do a sheet would be to use Myriad Helpers, which has a category that adds some methods to the NSAlert class, for example:

tell Cocoa's NSAlert's makeAlert_buttons_text_("Alert", {"OK"}, "Hiya,  Apple_For_The_Win" & return & "This sheet will give up after 10 seconds")
  showOver_calling_wait_(mainWindow, {"sheetDismissed:", me}, 10)
end tell

--

on sheetDismissed_(theButton) -- the sheet has been dismissed
  # whatever
end sheetDismissed_

The completion handler (sheetDismissed in this case) is called when the sheet is dismissed, and is passed the name of the button (or 'Gave Up').

Reply by red_menace on Oct 16, 2013 3:52 PM Helpful

Oops, sorry about that.  Cocoa is a shortcut I use for current application.  You can define a property like:

property Cocoa : current application

or just replace "Cocoa" with "current application".

Edit:

I'm pulling most of these examples from my Windows and Panels example project - it can be downloaded here.

All replies

• red_menace Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.desktops
    Desktops

I saw what you did there...

You don't necessarily need to create another window for simple alerts, you can use the NSAlert class.  I think there is still some weirdness with sheets, so the easiest way to do a sheet would be to use Myriad Helpers, which has a category that adds some methods to the NSAlert class, for example:

tell Cocoa's NSAlert's makeAlert_buttons_text_("Alert", {"OK"}, "Hiya,  Apple_For_The_Win" & return & "This sheet will give up after 10 seconds")
      showOver_calling_wait_(mainWindow, {"sheetDismissed:", me}, 10)
    end tell

--

on sheetDismissed_(theButton) -- the sheet has been dismissed
      # whatever
    end sheetDismissed_

The completion handler (sheetDismissed in this case) is called when the sheet is dismissed, and is passed the name of the button (or 'Gave Up').

• Apple_For_The_Win Level 1 Level 1

Is there a way to do it without using Myriad Helpers?

...And without sheets?

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

As far as I know there is still a problem with AppleScriptObjC using sheets, so some kind of Objective-C protocol or category will be needed.  Using Myriad Helpers is pretty easy, and you can just just use what you need - for the alert sheet, just add the NSAlert+MyriadHelpers .h and .m files to your project and you are good to go.

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Looks like you snuck an edit in there...

For just a regular alert you can do something like:

tell Cocoa's NSAlert's alertWithMessageText_defaultButton_alternateButton_otherButton_informativeTextWithFormat_("This is an alert", "OK", "Cancel", missing value, "Hello Apple_For_The_Win") to set theChoice to its runModal()
      if theChoice is Cocoa's NSAlertDefaultReturn then -- OK button
        # whatever on OK
      else if theChoice is Cocoa's NSAlertAlternateReturn then -- Cancel
        # whatever on Cancel
      end if

Edit:

I've also used a handler for a simple alert with just an OK button:

on showAlert_withMessage_(alertTitle, alertMessage) -- show a simple alert
      tell Cocoa's NSAlert's alloc's init()
        setMessageText_(alertTitle)
        setInformativeText_(alertMessage)
        return runModal()
      end tell
    end showAlert_withMessage_

It says the "Cocoa" isn't defined. How should I declare it in my Applescript.delegate and what do I link it to?

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Oops, sorry about that.  Cocoa is a shortcut I use for current application.  You can define a property like:

property Cocoa : current application

or just replace "Cocoa" with "current application".

Edit:

I'm pulling most of these examples from my Windows and Panels example project - it can be downloaded here.

Oh, alright. It just worked for me and I just realized this is not what I meant. I need something that comes out of the window, not a displayed dialog. An example would be when you quit TextEdit without saving a file:

Screen Shot 2013-10-16 at 6.52.31 PM.png

How could I have something like that come down from the top of the window and have variable text displayed, without using a sheet?

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Well, that is a sheet, so you are wanting to fake a sheet without using a sheet?  For a sheet with anything other than a simple alert you are looking at a custom panel or window (which AppleScript's display dialog is, after all).

Actually if I could use a popup like the one in TextEdit, that says "Hello" and an "OK" button or something, that would be the ideal.

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

Well, the easiest way would be to use an alert as a sheet - is there a particular reason you don't want to use the Myriad Helper category?

It has to be connected to the window to block the user from interacting from anything else in the window until they acknowledge the notification. I don't want to use the helper because it's exactly the same as display dialog. If I were to just use Display dialog users could ignore the window or it might not pop up correctly.

expertise.desktops
    Desktops

The alert sheet example in my first reply is modal.  There is another method in the category that doesn't have a timeout - it would just be:

showOver_calling_(mainWindow, {"sheetDismissed:", me})