Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safair Bookmark sync using iCloud, iMac

Support doc HT4910 use of backing up in iCloud. A question not answered. My iPad and iPhone have all data I wish to back up checked on them. My iMac does not have Safari box checked in Sys Pref, iCloud. When I do select the box it wants to merge my Safai current BMs with iCloud. I did that and really messed things up. You see, I had spent a couple hours deleting old BMs and cleaning up iMac BMs. Lucky I salvaged cleaned up BMs from Time Machine.

So when one checks the Safari box in Sys Pres, iCloud, it asks "Do you want to merge these BMs with those on iCloud? Your information on this Mac will be uploaded and merged with the BMs stored in iCloud"

There is no place to say "No." I checked on the iCloud web page and can't even find Safari information.

Sys 10.8.5

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 2:02 PM

5 replies

Oct 16, 2013 2:33 PM in response to Starmillway

Turning on syncing Safari means syncing your Bookmarks, in addition to tabs and reading lists, the message is only checking that this is what you want to do, if you don't want to sync your bookmarks, you shouldn't enable Safari Syncing.

If you have any suggestions that you think might enhance iCloud, such as options for seperate Safari sync features, you can send Apple yourfeedback here.

Oct 16, 2013 4:56 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you sir for replying. Yes, I indeed would like to sync my bookmarks. I would like to have in iCloud and exact copy of those in Safari on my iMac. Merging the cleaned up version with the dirty iCloud version is not a solution as you have offered in your post.

Do you have any suggestions for my ridding iCloud of the dirty version of my Safari BookMarks?

Doy you have a suggestion for my editing the iCloud version of the copy of my Safari Bookmarks before I edited and cleaned them up as on my iMac?

Do you have any information about completely deleting the Bookmarkis on iCloud?

I hope this will help clarify my intent. I do want to use sync for Safari Bookmarks.

Oct 16, 2013 5:13 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you sir for replying. Yes, I indeed would like to sync my bookmarks. I would like to have in iCloud and exact copy of those in Safari on my iMac. Merging the cleaned up version with the dirty iCloud version is not a solution as you have offered in your post.

Do you have any suggestions for my riding iCloud of the dirty version of my Safari BookMarks?

Doy you have a suggestion for my editing the iCloud version of the copy of my Safari Bookmarks before I edited and cleaned them up as on my iMac?

Do you have any information about completely deleting the Bookmarkis on iCloud?

Feb 11, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Starmillway

I have EXACTLY the same issue. I hadn't even realized that Safari bookmark synchronization was yet another feature that has been moved into iCloud. It's infuriating - I've already set up a local Mavericks server solely to not have to push my personal calendars and Contacts into the ether. But whatever.

HOW does one keep from merging with whatever junk is in iCloud? I don't even know how there's anything there to begin with, as I've just tried turning on Safari data in the Pref, to re-enable bookmark syncing with my iPad/iPhone. But every time I do it's merging with som older version of my sorted bookmarks and completely destroying the hours I spent deleting and sorting. Fortunately, I too had a TM backup.

Honestly, the whole iOS 7 and iCloud is just a joke. If I didn't trust Google even less than I do Apple, I've had already switched.

Feb 17, 2014 4:17 PM in response to Starmillway

just found this solution, worked like a charm.

1. 1. From the Mac with the syncing problem, quit Safari.
  2. 2. Go to the Library folder in your Home directory. In OS X 10.7 and 10.8, Apple keeps this folder hidden. One way to access it is to hold down the Option key while selecting the Finder’s Go menu. You’ll see a Library option listed; select it.
  3. 3. From within the Library folder, locate the Safari folder. Open it.
  4. 4. Drag the bookmarks.plist file out of the folder to your Desktop. Once you’re done with the remaining steps, and everything seems in order, you can trash the file.
  5. 5. Relaunch Safari. Confirm that all your prior bookmarks are gone. Don’t panic. They’re still all in iCloud.
  6. 6. Now follow the initial steps 1 through 5 above. This time, when you get to the Merge option, it’s okay to click the button. As there are no active bookmarks on the Mac at the moment, there is nothing to incorrectly merge.

full article here: http://www.macworld.com/article/2029647/when-safari-bookmarks-fail-to-sync.html

Message was edited by: dll1

Safair Bookmark sync using iCloud, iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.