Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Experiencing corrupted / unreadable files after download

I have a quad core mac pro running snowleopard. Recently I've noticed that I've been having more and more files be unreadable after having been downloaded over the internet. This happens both after downloading from an internet browser, downloading through a 3rd party downloader client (Continuata), as well as syncing with Dropbox.

Given the increasing frequency in which I am encountering unreadable files (i.e. when you try to open or move a file and you get a finder error that says the operation can't be completed because the file cannot be read error -36).

From what I've read this can be due to either software problems or hardware issues. From my personal experience I get the feeling I'm probably dealing with a hardware problem, but I not sure where to start. Most of my problems DO seem to occur on a single internal hard drive, but the diagnostic tests I've run speak nothing but love for the health of the drive (disk utility repair, various Drive Genius 3 tools).

Further information: I use dropbox and sync many times a day with other peoples shared folders. I also use Synergy, the mouse/keyboard sharing over the network software (and it's slightly buggy).

I've repaired permissions a bunch of times, never had any problems to be repaired. Nor have I had any problems to be repaired when I do repair disk.

Is it possible my network adapter might be going? Or some other internal hardware component on the motherboard?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 2:58 PM

3 replies

Oct 16, 2013 6:09 PM in response to Mike Simon

Mac Pro 65lb tower uses Error Corecting Code (ECC) Memory, so memory problems are not your issue, or you would be getting kernel panic, machine check.

The individual data blocks on Disk are recorded using an error-correcting code. Simple problems are corrected on the fly, serious problems cause big delays and an I/O Error.

The communications interfaces use error detection codes, and errors there would cause re-transmission. Repeated problems would slow your connection and eventually cause errors.

The most likely problem is the type that will be fixed by Disk Utility (Repair Disk). That is, if the free list is incorrect, and a block gets inadvertatly re-used before its time.

This also could be a problem with "crazy software". If you tend to load up your machine with lots of third-party gadgets, you will make it unstable.

Experiencing corrupted / unreadable files after download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.