Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone have any ideas?

my imac only opens for guest user, not me. I get the chime, the apple, then just the spinning ball. I have disconnected all other external drives, printers etc.

It was left on without using for two days. Is the disc full? I have turned off and restarted several times. When I sign on as guest I do get further, but not as myself as the user.

Thanks

Molly

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 2:21 PM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2013 3:37 PM in response to mollymoo5

Turn off your computer.

Hold down shift, then turn on your computer. Wait until a bar appears under the apple logo, then let go of the shift key. Wait for the bar to load (may take up to an hour, but unlikely) and try logging in.

If this does not work, shut down your computer. Hold the option key and then turn on. If you see a Apple logo, shut down the computer and hold down the option key again. You should see a menu with "Macintosh HD", and "Recovery 10.blah.blah". Some other items may appear. Use your arrow keys to select "Recovery" and press enter. DO NOT PRESS ENTER IF THERE IS AN LOOPED ARROW UNDER "RECOVERY"! THERE SHOULD BE A STRAIGHT ARROW. Select "Disk utility" and on the left of the window that pops up, press the item with the long string of numbers and letters, followed by "Media". Then click "First Aid", and then click "Verify Disk." When that is done, click "Repair disk." Lots of stuff will come up, just ignore it. Then under the long string of numbers followed by "Media", click "Macintosh HD". Then click "Verify Disk Permissions", when that is done press "Repair Disk Permissions." Click the apple and click restart when all of this is done.

If none of this works, call Apple (1-800-692-7753). They should be able to help. If you don't want to use a phone, bring it into a Apple retail store (find one).

Leaving your mac on for a few days without activity is not the greatest of all ideas but should not damage your mac unless it is done excessively.

Happy Computing! 🙂

mollymoo5 wrote:

my imac only opens for guest user, not me. I get the chime, the apple, then just the spinning ball. I have disconnected all other external drives, printers etc.

It was left on without using for two days. Is the disc full? I have turned off and restarted several times. When I sign on as guest I do get further, but not as myself as the user.

Thanks

Molly

mollymoo5 wrote:

Thanks

Molly

Anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.