Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance slow to point of uselessness

My iPod touch 4th gen which will not allow ios7 has become unusable because closing an app takes MANY pushes of home button and or a long wait to close. I have done all the things I have seen recommended such as double tap and closing a,ll running apps and no help. It also drops battery to 20% roles after just 80 minutes of music through headphones. This kid tot ally not acceptable and Zi rapidly losing faith in apple. When new it was snappy.

My feeling is that it is a problem with the flash memory and the lack of trim function in is. If so I am stuck unless there is a trim function available and I jailbreK go use it.

You can do better than this Apple. I supposd this is a deliberate attempt to force me to buy a news device. If I do it will not bds an iPod, sad. It has had its day.

iPad, iOS 5.1

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 4:40 PM

2 replies

Oct 16, 2013 4:45 PM in response to W0MN

Periodically double click the home button and close all the apps in the recently used dock. Then power off and then back on the iPod. This frees up memory. The 4G only has 256 MB of memory.

Next:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Oct 16, 2013 5:58 PM in response to lllaass

In a word, NO or at least not much. I have done all this before also and at most it helps for a while. My opinion is that IOS is highly defective here. I think the recently used dock was a huge mistake and at the very least should be an option and memory should be handled much more efficiently. My iPad does not have the problem but probably more memory and faster processor is the reason. I am far from the only complainer about this. No such problem with my Android phone. No chance I will go to iPhone, that is certain.

Performance slow to point of uselessness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.