Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aptv keeps restarting itself for no apparent reason

For the last week or two my aptv has been restarting itself, usually when I put a program on pause

and come back a few min. later I find I'm back at the icon screen.

My software is up to date and my connection is very good so I'm really puzzled as to why it would

restart on it's own, and it seems to be happening more often.

As well Hulu seems a little strange, it keeps asking to quite out and restart after an "update" and

it will do this a few times a day, very strange.

Anyone else having these same problems?

Apple TV

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 6:54 PM

70 replies

Mar 31, 2017 8:33 PM in response to kfeeney

I've been having the same issue for about 2 months. After about an hour and a half, my ATV3 turns off and restarts. I've reset it, my internet is wired 75mpbs up/down, so thats not an issue. Apple Store wants to charge me to check it, so thats not happening.

There has to be a fix. I'm not buying an ATV4, especially if Apple is going to do nothing about an issue thats been known for over 4 years.

Apr 29, 2017 8:16 PM in response to BlackCTSV

Same here, wired, tried wireless, no diff. 25 MB connection, more than once I have "caught" it during a reboot where I have been remoted in to a client site so obviously not an internet connection issue. Tried different Ethernet ports also, laptop has not had a problem on the same switch port TV was connected to.

The older mine gets, the worse (more frequent) this reboot problem is.

I'm willing to bet they have a bunch of bad boards since so many if us have the same problem.

No way to prove it though.

No pattern(s) here as to "channel" and/or reboot issue. Just random and more frequent with age...

Oct 21, 2013 7:30 AM in response to kfeeney

Hey kfeeney,

It sounds like it might be an issue with the network. I would go through the troubleshooting in the following article, specifically concentrating on the "Apple TV unexpectedly disconnects from the Wi-Fi network or signal strength is weak or fluctuates" section:

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4546

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

All the best,

Delgadoh

Nov 2, 2013 12:40 PM in response to kfeeney

I'm experiencing the exact same problems, and I don't think it's a network connectivity issue as I am connected via Ethernet not WiFi. I have also confirmed that none of my other devices are experiencing network drops (iPhone, laptop, desktop) at the same time my AppleTV is rebooting itself. I can replicate the restart problem like clockwork by going into HBO GO and scrolling down through the "Just Added" movies (screen goes blank, light on box blinks 4 times, ticking "thinking" wheel shows on screen, and then the home AppleTV screen displays); and I can almost always get the "Hulu Plus has updated, please exit and restart" message anytime I try to watch multiple shows of the same series back to back. I've updated my software, unplugged the AppleTV for a few minutes and retried it, reset to factory settings, and then done a complete restore (which took 40 min because it apparently found an update that the update screen didn't see) all to no avail. Nothing I have tried is fixing the problem. I'm wondering if there may be a bug with the latest software update?

Nov 2, 2013 12:44 PM in response to Delgadoh

I don't think it's a network connectivity issue, I am experiencing the exact same problems as kfeeney and I am connected via Ethernet, not WiFi. I have also confirmed that none of my other devices are experiencing network drops (iPhone, laptop, desktop) at the same time my AppleTV is rebooting itself. I've done everything including a full restore and it's still periodically restarting, any other suggestions? Thanks

Jan 12, 2014 12:31 PM in response to kfeeney

I am also having this problem. Almost every time I pause a video on my Apple TV (either from Netflix or a movie I have in iTunes), it restarts my Apple TV and takes me back to the main menu. As my Apple TV is connected directly via ethernet, I know it's not a bad signal, and nothing else is dropping. I have a constant signal on my macbook, iphone, and ipad. This started occurring after one of the updates. I have not always had this problem, as I've had my apple TVs for about a year and a half. I have two of them and they are both experiencing this problem.

Feb 8, 2014 11:17 PM in response to kfeeney

I think I have solved my issue. It has been a week and no reboot/restart of my device. My Apple TV was plugged into power strip where that particular plug was not working properly. It would shut off at random times. I've used a different port and it seems to fix my restarting issue.

This is probably my own fix and will not apply to you. Worth a try if you are using power strip though.

Feb 10, 2014 3:18 PM in response to chitowncubbiefan

Hi,

I took my Apple TV to my local Apple Service Provider who informed me that after running a diagnostics there was an issue with my Apple TV (only issues on certain batches of Apple tv) . because this is a known issue by Apple they will now replace my apple tv which i should receive in the next couple of days.

Its worthwhile taking yours into your local apple agent for them to tests yours as it probably got the same issue as mine

regards

Aptv keeps restarting itself for no apparent reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.