Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally chose Macintosh HD as my Screen Saver Photo Folder and it stopss responding every time I try to change it. How can I fix this?

When I was changing the folder for the photos that system prefrences uses for the slideshow screensavers, I accidentally chose Macintosh HD instead of the folder I wanted. Now when I try to change it, It stops responding and I have to force quit. How can I stop this from happeneing or at least change the folder it uses for the Slide show?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 8:00 PM

10 replies

Oct 16, 2013 8:50 PM in response to TrevorCollins56

OK, this is a longshot. Go to /Home/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ folder. Look for a file similar to this one:

com.apple.ScreenSaverPhotoChooser.55ADE930-5FDF-5EC4-8429-15640684C489.plist. The numbers don't mean anything. Drag it out to your Desktop or put it in the Trash (don't Empty yet.)

See if that now lets you have access to the menu. If it does and you're OK, then you can Empty the Trash.

I accidentally chose Macintosh HD as my Screen Saver Photo Folder and it stopss responding every time I try to change it. How can I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.