Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I safely remove the case of the eMac without damaging anything?

I am trying to replace the Graphics Card of an eMac to determine if the original one has failed to operate.

I am getting a blank screen on Start-up.

Please guide me on how to remove the casing of the eMac safely.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), eMac

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 11:04 PM

Hello,

eMac Service Manual...

http://gmcotton.com/Ham_Radio/MISC%20Manuals/Mac/emac%20service%20manual.

6 replies

Oct 16, 2013 11:41 PM in response to Uncle Mac

I just got it off safely. Thanks. That was the easy part.

Now, can someone tell me how I can find and check the Graphics Card? I'm hoping the Card Slot and contacts just need cleaning. The eMacs seem to be a Technician's nightmare.

I must say.. troubleshooting my G4 Dual Processor 1.42G Desktop and upgrading it is a walk in the park compared to this eMac. I had a similar problem with the G4, cleaned the contacts, and video was restored to the Monitor.

P.S. I was careful not to damage the Pwr Sw and cord.

Oct 17, 2013 7:35 AM in response to Uncle Mac

I concur with BD--the eMac uses a video chipset integral with the logic board, not a discreet card. Very typical of Apple's consumer/educational computer lines.

There were some video hardware issues with eMac from Day 1. The very first model had no video or "collapsing" video that was eventually traced to a bad batch of IVAD cables. New IVAD cables are available but are getting hard to find with the recent closure on one of the best eMac service/parts centers recently.

Later, eMacs with USB 2.0 logic boards running 1.0gHz and 1.25gHz processors had a near-fatal logic board issue that could mean no video. Rather than my clumsy fingers retyping everything, please see my post of 15 Oct in this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5446791?tstart=0

It shows how to find your serial number, how to tell what eMac variant you have (helpful for us to know), and the ranges of serial numbers affected by the logic board issues with the USB 2.0 models.

How do I safely remove the case of the eMac without damaging anything?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.