Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screensaver crashing in background?

Hi there

I have a iMac 12,1 and I've had it for a couple of years. It came with Snow Leopard and I have upgraded it to Lion and then to Mountain Lion. Since I upgraded to ML I have this weird problem. I leave my machine on all week, so when I come into work, I wake it from sleep, unlock the screensaver, check my email, then turn to my PC to do some AD admin. When I turn back to my Mac, the screen is black. Sometimes if I put it to sleep and wake it again, I can get into the Finder but it's still black. Using my trackpad I can switch from workspace to workspace but the screen is still black. I can quit my open apps but cannot shutdown or reboot, I have to hold in the power button to switch it off. I have even formatted my hard drive and done a clean installation of ML but it hasn't helped. Before the rebuild, the only crash logs I could find that might have had a bearing on this mentioned Quicktime crashing.

What has alleviated the problem (i.e. it only happens once or twice a week as opposed to every day) was that I changed my screensaver from one of the slideshow ones to the arabesque one. None of my users have complained of a similar issue. I also use the Creative Suite and one of the first signs that my machine is going to go into this state is that Bridge crashes and will not re-open. I'm also the only Mac user running Apple Remote Desktop, but I don't think that it has any relation to the issue.

Has anyone had a similar issue and managed to resolve it? I am a techie, so I have done all the obvious stuff like rebuilt, repaired permissions and updated the OS, etc.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 2:13 AM

1 reply

Screensaver crashing in background?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.