Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to convert mkv files into dvd reader compatible format

Hi there! that's my first discussion ever in this community. Hope you can help me and I thank you by now for support. 😉

My question is pretty simple.

How can I convert a full HD .mkv file into something compatible with DVD readers for home use ( mpeg, avi etc.. ), keeping full HD quality ?

Assuming that I'm a beginner in codec, video converting operations and all stuff like that....

1) I'm using OSX 10.8.5 Mountain Lion

2) I tried using VLC 2.1 but result was pretty bad ( blurry video quality and no sound at all... starting from a perfect mkv source )

3) I tried with Divx Plus Converter 10 having error 2

As I will be converting videos rarely I'm looking for a free solution... Any idea ??

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 4:03 AM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2013 4:17 AM in response to Salsero84

It could be a 'difficult' form of Matroska file. FYI Matroska is just a container like MOV or AVI, and some mkv have the video encoded with Real Video Codec (RV9 RV10). Perian+QT can't decode this, but VLC will play .mkv files just fine on OS X, as long as they don't use H.264!

It's a bit of a lottery until Matroska decide to support the Apple platform. I have found this:

http://mkv4mac.free.fr/index.php?lang=en&p=lec

which may help.

But there may be another workaround: 1. Get Info the mkv file

2. Change to extension to wmv. Save as wmv and that could work better.

Recently, a poster (ZachP14) suggested this:

"There's a program called Plex that runs .mkv files awesome on my 2.0 ghz macbook."

http://www.plexapp.com/

Maybe worth a try?

More information here:

ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

Oct 17, 2013 5:58 AM in response to Klaus1

Thank you, first!

I'm not sure I got everything. 😝

1) My impression is you're talking about " how to play an Mkv video on Apple platform", is that right?

As I need to burn those videos on DVDs ( that will be sent to persons not very skilled), I was hoping to convert them into mpeg or avi or else so.....so they'll have just to put in the DVDs, sit , press Play and enjoy the show !

2) By the way, as you're telling me Matroska is not supporting Apple platform now ( and will not do it soon ... right? ), I assume another workaround could be to get sources I need directly in .mpeg (or similar) files.

Right?

Thanks again

Ps. I'm just a beginner talking of this stuff in my mother language (italian), it's a bit more difficult in english eheheeh I'm doing my best anyway ahaah

How to convert mkv files into dvd reader compatible format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.