Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot my MacBook Pro. Tryed CMD+R, reinstall OS, error message :damaged HD. When trying to repait it says it's OK. Yesterday HD wasn't even half full when I turned it off, now it says it's full.

Cannot boot my MacBook Pro. Tryed CMD+R, reinstall OS, error message :damaged HD. When trying to repait it says it's OK. Yesterday HD wasn't even half full when I turned it off, now it says it's full.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 5:01 AM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2013 5:10 AM in response to Pitusko421

What may have happened is an error and a kernel panic, filling up the logfiles.

What I recommend is first to find a way to backup your data without booting the hard drive directly if it isn't already backed up, and then get Alsoft Disk Warrior to repair the hard drive. You'll probably want an external drive from http://www.macsales.com/

And you'll want to go into Hard drive -> Library -> Logs, System -> Library -> Logs, and Users -> yourname -> Library -> Logs to remove whatever you find there.

If after booting it fills up again, start by removing all startup items in your System Preferences for your user, and rebooting in safe mode with the shift key held down. If the hard drive is over 85% full after removing the logfiles, you may want to look at what were the last applications you installed.

Peer2peer software if installed can be as bad as a virus, because it enables others to access your computer. Insecure wireless networks are just as bad, if they are WEP or no encryption and someone is within 1500 feet of your computer.

If no such software is installed, your RAM probably has failed. Run the hardware test that came with your computer, by booting with the 'D' key.

If nothing shows up there, it can still be the RAM. Especially if you've seen any 4 language screens telling you to restart.

Here's more on kernel panics:

http://www.macmaps.com/kernelpanic.html*

Oct 17, 2013 6:32 AM in response to a brody

Thank u. I have an external HD (Packard Bell).

How do I have access to this sequence without booting the Mac: "Hard drive -> Library -> Logs, System -> Library -> Logs, and Users -> yourname -> Library -> Logs to remove whatever you find there."

BTW. I have backed up my HD and it does not recognise my Time. It only recognises my older backups from another MacBook Pro (17"), but not the ones from this Macbook Pro.

I am online with apple online support with the defective computer.

No P2P software.

My Mac is on 14h a day. I'm connected through Wifi all the time WEP2. No software downlaods except an anti-virus, 3 months ago.

I mainly work with MSOffice, principally Outlook, Word, PPT and sometimes Excel

Exchange docs. Skype video-conferencing. Video, music only streaming, no downloads.

I have the weard sensation that someone has accessed my computer and messed it up

I'll try what you say (D key)

Thanks again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.