Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion drive in a MacBook possible?

I'm ready to upgrade my MacBook, but would like it also to replace my iMac. But I want significant storage space at a reasonable price which dictates a hard drive or Fusion Drive. Can this happen in a MacBook Pro or has the MacBook Pro been shrunk to much? This question applies to current as well as future (I'm assuming Apple isn't going to make it larger to get in a Fusion Drive. 1TB would be nice. If I get a portable I don't want to have an auxialliary drive and I can't rely on the cloud because I travel off the grid (parks in the US or overseas where either wireless access is too costly or not available).

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 7:51 AM

Possible as in does Apple sell one or possible as in can I do it myself?

None of the current MBP have a fusion drive option. As for what will happen in the future only Apple knows and they don't say before hand what will be.

As for doing it yourself. The non retina MBP's still have a superdrive so it would be possible to remove the superdrive, replace it with and SSD and create the fusion drive. The retina MPB's do not have a superdrive so I don;t think there is enough room or anywhere to hook up the SSD.

Note I say possible, I have not done this myself.

regards

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2013 7:51 AM in response to MtnBiker

Possible as in does Apple sell one or possible as in can I do it myself?

None of the current MBP have a fusion drive option. As for what will happen in the future only Apple knows and they don't say before hand what will be.

As for doing it yourself. The non retina MBP's still have a superdrive so it would be possible to remove the superdrive, replace it with and SSD and create the fusion drive. The retina MPB's do not have a superdrive so I don;t think there is enough room or anywhere to hook up the SSD.

Note I say possible, I have not done this myself.

regards

Oct 17, 2013 9:56 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Aux drive with Retina vs. Fusion Drive and older and heavier MacBook. The Retina MacBook Pro is 0.9 lbs. lighter which would more than cover the weight (but not inconvenience) of an auxilliary drive.

I'm thinking about it. At the moment leaning to Retina plus auxilliary. Another downside is 8GB max. memory—I tend to have lots of apps open.

Warranty would be voided if they can tell it was done, but I've never had a warranty problem—all have lived longer than their warranty, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Apple replaced a battery that expanded (physically) long after the warranty was over.

Thanks for the reply

Oct 17, 2013 3:33 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

I'm was looking to the 13" for portablility reasons which peaks at 8GB according to MacTracker. And I'm living 8GB on my iMac, but constantly watching Activity Monitor and shutting down apps, but with an SSD relaunching might not such a problem.

Thanks for the comments and your comments have led me to look harder and be comfortable with SSD only with Retina as the weight savings balances the added hassles of an auxilliary drive.

Fusion drive in a MacBook possible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.