Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

verify disk question

Imac 2.8 o.s 10.7.5 4gb ram

I ran verify disk as I usually do and it stated that HD was corrupt and needed repair, I then without doing anything ran verify disk again and it said HD was ok, whats going on please.

I also got this last night on my macbook late 2008.

Both machines are running ok

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 11:32 AM

When you get the message "needed repair" next time, click Repair Disk button.

That may resolve the issue.

Best.

6 replies

Oct 19, 2013 11:01 AM in response to cfrombarrhead

Errors reported when doing verification are not reliable.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2711

As long as there are no errors reported when repairing the disk while booted into

Recovery HD, dIsk is fine.

Repair Disk

Steps 2 through 8

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5836

Do you have FileVault turned on?

Sometimes this kind of anomaly can result from that.

I am sure that you have a proper, reliable backup.

Best.

Oct 19, 2013 1:25 PM in response to cfrombarrhead

cfrombarrhead wrote:

Thanks dominic and baltwo. I carried out a disk recovery from recovery mode and this ran and said disk ok.

The next time I rebooted mac I ran verify disk and it again and it said disk corrupt ect.

Today after another reboot and me having taken no action re above verify disk says hd ok- is it or is it breaking down?

If you make a bootable backup of your int HD onto an ext HD, boot with that, then you can erase and reformat the int HD, restore the backup, and run DU again. That usually fixes what's ailing on the HD.

verify disk question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.