Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't print on shared printer, Alert says "On Hold (authentication required)"

Mac Mini running 10.6.8 can't print using Mac Air running 10.8.5 with HP Laserjet 1022 USB connected. Both computers on same airport network. Both with latest updates and shared printer enabled. Same problem in other direction (Air to mini if printer connected to mini).

This worked fine a few days ago. Whats changed? Anybody?

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 8:12 AM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2013 4:19 PM in response to Donha55

Something has failed with the core printing system, although given your test I'm not sure which of the two Mac's has the issue. So the easiest action to take is to reset the printing system on both Mac's. This will remove all printers and scanners on the Mac, but not the supporting drivers, so you will just need to add the printer again. Add the printer on the Mac that has the printer connected via USB first and make sure it prints. Then share it and then add it on the other Mac and see if this prints without the authentication message.

Feb 22, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Donha55

This might help... I recently upgraded to OS X 10.9.1 and had the same frustrations with "paused for authentication problems. Luckly I just discovered that with the print sharing on in the computer that that has the direct connection with the printer being shared on the network and in this below screenshot, with certain persons selected, even an administrator, it puts a "no access" on the everyone option. In this status I get the "paused for authentication" on the print jobs being submitted from any networked computer. see below

I am taking it that the authentication the neworked computers are looking for is from the computer that is diretly connected to the printer and is sharing that printer to other users.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file---------------------************************************-----------------

I've learned when you click the up and down arrow to the right of everyone you get either "no access" or "can print" option.

When the "can print" option is selected all the individual persons added gets droped, but at least now I can do a network print jobs from the other network connected computers and not get the "paused for authenication" problem. Hope this helps anyone with "paused for authent" problems 🙂 ET

User uploaded file

Can't print on shared printer, Alert says "On Hold (authentication required)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.