Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore from iPod

My system crashed taking all my musing with it. How do I restore the music from my iPod back to my library? I know it can be done but I'm afraid of losing the music already there by syncing wiht a depleted library.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 8:38 AM

1 reply

Oct 17, 2013 6:33 PM in response to bregory

Don't sync it to an empty iTunes library. iTunes syncing generally works one way, from computer to iPod. Syncing an empty iTunes library makes the iPod's library empty.

You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer, except for songs purchased from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

Once the song files are on the computer, you can add them to your new iTunes library. Then, (after confirming everything is there) re-sync your iPod to your new iTunes library.

Restore from iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.