7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2015 3:38 AM by Kenichi Watanabe
karteekv2k Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am using  Ipod photo A1099 and recently i have restored the software.As it need to connect to an power adapter after restore,i connected it to an adapter with 10 v output(series of two 5v adapters)...after this my iPod has gone dead.

Please help me to set it back..and please tell me is there any possible way to repair it back?

iPod classic
  • Kenichi Watanabe Level 7 Level 7 (30,465 points)

That's a 4th gen iPod.  If you use USB to connect it to your computer (and perform a Restore using iTunes), you need to connect it to the square white power adapter that came with those iPods, as the last step in the Restore process.  Third-party power adapters may not work for this step.

I'm not sure if you are providing an accurate description, but power level is measured in watts, not volts (v).  If you actually connected a power source with the wrong voltage, that may have damaged your iPod.  You can use a higher-power Apple USB power supply with more watts, because the iPod takes what it needs, just as some computer USB ports supply more power than others, but as long as it provides (at least) the minimum power needed, it works with an iPod.  But you cannot use a power supply that provides power at the wrong voltage.

What happens now when you connect it to your computer's USB port?  Did you try connecting it and doing a Reset?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1320

• karteekv2k Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Actually i have tried to build powersource by connecting two mobile adapters in series(5v ,500mA each).I thought this won't cause major problem to my ipod....

yesterday i have brought power adapter for my ipod and i have tried to charge my ipod ,but no positive result as it's remain cold like a dead one

According Internet info, USB connections (whether on the computer or power adapter) specify 5 volts.  If your modification changed the voltage significantly from the specifications for the connected device, that can cause damage.

So you saying if my power source damaged my ipod(if it effects motherboard) that's end no choice at all right?

no response in anyway,beginning at least it shows an adapter symbol on the screen but now too gone

do u think my Ipod board has gone if so at least it should smell some weird but no sign of it

I can't possibly know exactly what happened.  All I can say is that if you created your own power adapter that supplies the wrong voltage for an iPod, that can obviously cause damage.  The power connections on the iPod's dock connector go to the iPod's logic board, so any damage that occurred would be there.