Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Avoid Multiple Artist Listings

I am trying to figure out how to add artist information onto songs when there is more than just one artist singing. I would like to be able to keep only the main artist listed on my iPod instead of having multiple artist listings.

For instance, Ann Wilson has an album entitled Hope & Glory on which she sings with mutilples artists on various songs. In the past I have listed the featuring artists in parenthesis after the song title. This does what I need it to do, which is, I only have one artist named "Ann Wilson" displayed on my iPod and it also keeps my album information correct in iTunes and on my hard drive. However, I like it when I list the artist information like such as it shows the contributiong artists in iTunes under the title of the song:

Name:

Where to Now St. Peter

Artist:

Ann Wilson

Album Artist:

Ann Wilson and Elton John

This still allows the album to stay together when viewed on my Mac and I avoid having the featuring artists' name in the song title. It also maintains the album integrity on my hard drive. However; when viewed on my iPod, I get an additonal artist listed as:

"Ann Wilson and Elton John"

I would still like for all of these songs to only be displayed under the name "Ann Wilson."

Does anyone have a solution for this?

randelsclan

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), iTunes

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 10:33 AM

2 replies

Oct 17, 2013 11:57 AM in response to turingtest2

True... iTunes will, by default, make the Artist whatever the Album Artist is. When I'm adding a batch of MP3s with no tags, I skip the Artist tag because it's easier just to add the Album Artist and let iTunes make the Artist from it. You can edit the Artist from there, but the Album Artist will remain the same and the folder will remain the same if your Library is "organized" by iTunes.

How to Avoid Multiple Artist Listings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.