Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad issues since updating to Lion

Hi there,

I"ve had problems with my macbook pro ever since I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Or there's a coincidence and I have picked up some malware.... I hope someone can help me address this.

My Macbook Pro has never had any type of service in the three years I've had it, so I think I'll be scheduling for a tune-up soon...it's time I suppse. But in the meantime, any suggestions if this is malware or just glitches with OSX upgrade....

The only way for zoom in/out w/2 fingers to constantly work is by selecting, deselecting and then selecting again and then restarting Safari. Why aren't my choices just "sticking"? .... it's very inconsistent.

Areas of webpages are highlighting blue even though I've just opening the page and haven't been selecting. I just have to click anywhere for it to de-select but still, what's this all about?

My other issue is although I don't choose a link to open, now, and often, the cursor behaves as though I have clicked on a site to go to/open even though I was just scrolling by (when doing a search, for instance).

When I choose System Preferences (because I seem to have to go there a lot since the update!) rather than launching and appearing at the front of any windows it opens but minimizes to the dock, most times.

And most importantly, is the spinning wheel that has now started being a nuisance and I think it mostly happens when I'm surfing and not putting the machine to task at all.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 11:33 AM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2013 4:10 PM in response to OhThatGirl

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

First, empty the Trash.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 -o -acl \) 2> /dev/null | wc -l

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear.

The output of this command, on a line directly below what you entered, will be a number such as "41." Please post it in a reply.

Oct 17, 2013 7:59 PM in response to OhThatGirl

Back up all data. Don't continue unless you're sure you can restore from a backup, even if you're unable to log in.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

If you have more than one user account, and the one in question is not an administrator account, then temporarily promote it to administrator status in the Users & Groups preference pane. To do that, unlock the preference pane using the credentials of an administrator, check the box marked Allow user to administer this computer, then reboot. You can demote the problem account back to standard status when this step has been completed.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

{ sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:staff ~ $_ ; sudo chmod -R u+rwX ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ ; } 2> /dev/null

This time you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1 or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Boot into Recovery. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open.

In the Terminal window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Oct 27, 2013 7:37 PM in response to Linc Davis

I was daunted by this and so have not done it...yet. I am hoping that upgrading to Mavericks will fix some of my issues.

I've made an appointment to take it in for a "tuneup" due to spinning wheels, and the other issues I've been experiencing....however, I'm hoping to fart around on my macbook tonight and see if or what issues are resolved. Ugh, taking my compter and leaving it for potentially days really agitates me 😀 !

Thanks for responiding to me so thoroughly; I will indeed try this if tonight I have same experiences.

Sincerely,

Julia

Trackpad issues since updating to Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.