Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you Lock mute universally for all users.

I have a mac lab with 30 computers. I'm wanting to be able to mute the computers, and lock that function so the volume cannot be turned back up. I would also be ok with just being able to turn off the volume click sound by unchecking the volume boxes in setting (see pic)User uploaded file I tried it from an admin account, but it doesn't do it universally. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Apple Remote Desktop-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 12:37 PM

1 reply

Oct 22, 2013 11:15 AM in response to Compactat

Hi Josh

I'm struggling to see how you can control anyone from using the volume control keys on the keyboard? This 'problem' might explain why you're getting little response to your question? That said you could set the mute setting and disable the sound control panel. But that would still mean anyone can easily 'un-mute' the sound by depressing the keyboard's volume control keys.

However a possible (clunky) solution you could try is to set the mute setting and disable the Sound Preferences Pane. You can use a number of ways to do this depending on what management solutons you have in place. Using ARD simply send a terminal command (man mv) that moves the Sound Preference Pane from /System/Library/PreferencePanes to any one of the local administrator's restricted home folders - Desktop, Documents, Library etc. Finally replace the Apple keyboards with keyboards that don't have the volume control keys - if such exist?

HTH?

Tony

How do you Lock mute universally for all users.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.