Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install new OS when (a) DVD drive doesn't work, (b) current OS corrupt

I've got a real conundrum.

I've got a Mac Pro 2x2.8 server from 2008 running OS Leopard Server 5.8... I just bought the Snow Leopard Server software on CD and was going to install when two things happened. Firstly, i discovered my CD drive didn't work... and my Super Drive didn't show up either... Secondly, the current operating system has become severely corrupted, which means I can't even load up the system.

I've tried pressing C, D, Option, Shift, Command S and Command V during startup, but not getting anywhere.

And I can't install any new software because I can't use my DVD drive - internal or external.

W-T-F-Do I do?

Is there any way to transfer the Snow Leopard CD contents onto a hard drive and load via USB / Firewire?

Bright ideas and inspired suggestions much appreciated.

Jay

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 12:19 PM

5 replies

Oct 17, 2013 12:22 PM in response to JayBe289

For Leopard or Snow Leopard you need an installer DVD.

1. You can purchase replacements for the original discs from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support.

2. Buy a new Snow Leopard DVD.

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

Oct 17, 2013 1:46 PM in response to JayBe289

Hi

You've a number of options you could consider?

Target disk mode the Mac Pro Server to the mac with the working DVD Drive. Insert the Installer DVD, reboot from it and choose the Mac Pro Server disk as the destination drive.

Or

Clone the Installer DVD on the Mac with the working DVD drive on any externally connected USB or FireWire drive. Connect that drive to the MacPro Server . . . I think you should be able to guess the rest yourself?

Or

Share the Installer DVD on the Mac with the working DVD drive and the MacPro Server should be able to boot from it (use Start Up Disk Preference Pane to select it. This can be slow even on a gigabit network but stick with it as it will work.

Or

Create a NetBoot Installer nbi of the Installer DVD on the working Mac and serve it from another Mac Server assuming you have one?

Tony

How do I install new OS when (a) DVD drive doesn't work, (b) current OS corrupt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.