Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable stock vibrate alert for messages received in open conversation

I have a custom vibrate alert for iMessage that I have enabled which works perfectly but only if I am outside of the conversation (either browsing other apps or if the phone is in sleep mode). It appears that when I have an open conversation, the default vibration goes off (Staccato) when I receive a message from the person I am actively conversing with. First of all, I don't know why the phone needs to alert me, I have the conversation open and I'm staring right at the screen so I can clearly see that I've gotten a text from this person. I can deal with that as long as the phone will use my custom vibration which is much softer. I checked my Settings :

Notification Center -> Messages -> Alert Sound -> Vibration -> "My Custom Vibration"

Also tried :

Sounds -> Text Tone -> Vibration -> "My Custom Vibration"

It's honestly driving me crazy. I had the iPhone 4 prior to getting my iPhone 5 and it never gave me this problem. Not sure if there is a setting I can change or if I just have to live with it.

P.S. I don't want to put my phone entirely on silent. I want to know when I get a text which is why I have vibrate enabled.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 1:57 PM

6 replies

Jan 6, 2014 5:32 AM in response to acartooncar

I've just filed a bug report for this exact issue. It's driving me nuts, I took some of your text to describe the problem. I've had it for a long time now, during usage of my 3GS, iPhone 4, 4s, 5, and now 5s. Latest iOS, can't seem to find a solution, and doesn't seem it's on Apple's radar...

"I have a custom vibrate alert for iMessage that I have enabled which works perfectly but only if I am outside of the conversation (either browsing other apps or if the phone is in sleep mode). It appears that when I have an open conversation, the default vibration goes off (Staccato) when I receive a message from the person I am actively conversing with. I have the conversation open and I'm staring right at the screen so I can clearly see that I've gotten a text from this person. I can deal with that as long as the phone will use my custom vibration which is much softer.

Even when I'm in the messages list, the custom vibration goes off, it's only in the conversation where it changes back to default. I can't turn it off, and it's really annoying."

This is what I commented along with the bug report...

Mar 11, 2014 6:51 PM in response to the.Jo0Lz

This is still broken. If I'm actively using an app why is it vibrating every time a message comes in?

I'd prefer no vibration at all when I'm in the app, but 7.0's long vibration was actually more tolerable than 7.1's short little electronic pulse of a vibration. It's jarring and really annoying. I'm so annoyed by it that I actually turned off vibration all together.

How to disable stock vibrate alert for messages received in open conversation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.