Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Java Vs Oracle Java? Do I need both?

I've just been prompted by Apple Software Update to download the latest Java for OS X 2013-005 being Java SE6 version 1.6.0-65.

Only a few days ago I was prompted by Oracle's Java update to download Java Version 7, update 45. This occurred as a response to Safari attempting to use the Java applet that the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) uses for identity purposes for entry into it's secure website.

Usually, when I update any version of Java it plays havoc with my entry into the ATO website (which I have to do every 3 mths for Tax purposes). As a minimum, it usually requires that I reinstall the ATO software just to gain access. Sometimes it has required phone calls to the ATO help desk to solve the frustrating lack of access!

Does the OS X version and an Oracle version basically do the same thing?

Do I need to Update to the latest OS X Java version?

Will OS X Java override or compliment Oracle Java?

Do I need both, or will only one do? If only one, which one is best?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Plus iPhone 5, iPad 2

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 5:22 PM

The Oracle runtime is a web plugin only. The Apple runtime is a framework for running standalone applications.

2 replies

Oct 17, 2013 5:56 PM in response to straightshooter

Linc Davis provides the short answer. Here are more details, and links to Apple documentation.

Apple announced the deprecation of Java some years ago, and is incrementally moving the whole of the Java environment and maintenance over to Oracle to deal with; to the owner and maintainer of the Java product.

As you're probably aware, Java has had various security patches. For the recent Apple Security Update 2013-005 (for Snow Leopard and for Lion and Mountain Lion, see this Apple document.

In particular, Apple states the following: This update uninstalls the Apple-provided Java applet plug-in from all web browsers. To use applets on a web page, click on the region labeled "Missing plug-in" to go download the latest version of the Java applet plug-in from Oracle.

Basically, the Java browser plug-in just got handed over to Oracle.

I'd leave Java off of most or all your systems (maybe save for one, which you use only to access the ATO site, and only until the ATO folks move to a non-Java solution), as it has had a long history of security problems.

Apple Java Vs Oracle Java? Do I need both?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.