Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

original version ipod willl not transfer to new pc? if i plug ipod into itunes pc will play files....once removal of ipod the pc cannot locate or play music files?

Original version ipod classic will not transfer to new pc? If I plug ipod into the new version i-tunes currently on pc music files will play? However once the ipod is removed from pc the music files no longer play or file message cannot locate?

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 5:36 PM

1 reply

Oct 17, 2013 6:12 PM in response to bamaboilek

The songs files for music that is on the iPod are located on the iPod. While it is connected to iTunes, you can access them using iTunes, and play them (if the iPod is set to Manually manage music). If you disconnect the iPod, the songs files are no longer accessible by iTunes. So, what you describe sounds normal.

You cannot use iTunes to transfer song files from iPod to computer, except for songs purchased (by you) from the iTunes Store. However, there are third-party methods and utilities that can transfer from iPod to computer. If you do an Internet search on something like "ipod transfer," you should get some links. (The CNET article seems to be popular.)

original version ipod willl not transfer to new pc? if i plug ipod into itunes pc will play files....once removal of ipod the pc cannot locate or play music files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.