Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Low sound on iPhone 5S

I have done a side by side comparison between my iPhone 5s and my iPhone 4s concerning sound quality. My iPhone 4s has higher sound quality than my 5s. My 5s seems quieter. How would I fix this problem without going to the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store. However, I suspect that they will call me crazy and turn me at the door once I try to explain the problem just as they did prevously about my iPhone 4s. Its a 16GB Gold iPhone 5s. I have perform a hard reset and still no improvement. I have noticed that music plays louder on my iPhone 4s than 5s. So frustrated. Ugh. Just to also level the playing field of both iPhones, I update to the lastest IOS software and that still didnt make a difference. Please help.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 7:27 PM

I have two iPhone 4's (not the S) and the iPhone 5 (also not the S). The iPhone 4 is definitely louder in all respects. Think of it this way...there is more mass/area in the iPhone 4 because it's thicker and has more internal volume allowing for larger components, such as the speaker, as well as air mass behind the speaker. I don't think there's anything actually wrong with your device, it's just quieter...in this case, thinner may not be better.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2013 7:27 PM in response to waterman501

I have two iPhone 4's (not the S) and the iPhone 5 (also not the S). The iPhone 4 is definitely louder in all respects. Think of it this way...there is more mass/area in the iPhone 4 because it's thicker and has more internal volume allowing for larger components, such as the speaker, as well as air mass behind the speaker. I don't think there's anything actually wrong with your device, it's just quieter...in this case, thinner may not be better.

Oct 24, 2013 2:45 AM in response to waterman501

Yes I agree. I just got my I Phone 5S a month ago. I phone 5S is not as good or as loud as the 4 in the sound quality department. I'm also having lots of trouble with people complaining about the way I Sound to them.

I hear more people say it sounds like I'm in a tunnel. Speak up, I can't hear you! Your phone sounds very noisy.

Problem will happen at the beginning of the call and never go away. If I hang up and call back that can take care of the problem. This problem will not happen on all calls. I feel like I'm back in the days of Analog before 832 channels. This is my second phone now going for number 3. Working with Verizon. I love the new features on the I Phone 5S for many reasons. But this problem is making me very unhappy. I feel like I spent a lot of money for a Phone that is in my opinion not ready at all to be sold because it has issues. Apple should give me new phones to test out for them before they sell them because I have had a cell phone since 1995. I believe that I can review the phone for problems. Make me a Phone Tester!! I love my Mac Mini, my Laptops and I Pad.

But not this I Phone 5S. I feel like I'm stuck with a lemon. Want my old I Phone 4 back but I traded it in to

offset the cost of this expensive I Phone 5S. Never had an Issue with my (4) ever.

My family has I Phones (4) exactly, no problems with model 4 and 4s.

Apple Please fix this problem with the audio quality on the I Phone 5S

Low sound on iPhone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.