Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I edit photos in iPhoto it deletes them

Hi,

I'm having an issue with iPhoto '09: when I edit my photos it deletes them. It doesn't seem to happen if I adjust the temperature or tint, but if I manipulate any elements between (and including) exposure and de-noise it deletes my photo. The weird thing is, it doesn't delete the thumbnail - this still appears in my iPhoto library. But if I click on the photo it comes up as totally black. If I want to email the photo it comes up as an empty jpeg. I can get the file back if I go into edit and reset my settings, but obviously I want to use the editor. I'm using an iBook, OS 10.6.8.

Has anyone had this issue?

Thanks!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPhoto '09, v. 8.1.2

Posted on Oct 17, 2013 7:56 PM

19 replies

Oct 21, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Yer_Man

Appreciate you taking the time to respond, thanks for the info! Kind of odd, some pics are saved ok, others aren't. No apparently rhyme or reason, I'm ambivalent about upgrading as I have heard that can cause all sorts of other issues. My neighbour "lost" multiple photos when doing an upgrade recently and despite tech help hasn't been able to restore them 😟

Oct 21, 2013 11:32 AM in response to Old Toad

Sorry, I spoke incorrectly...wasn't an upgrade per se, it was a transfer to a new computer. I presume the new computer includes a more recent version of iPhoto than what she was using previously. Her husband backed up everything before the transfer. She also had a tech person check subsequently. He couldn't explain the problem and couldn't restore the images.

Oct 27, 2013 1:08 PM in response to Roy Bans

Same thing with clicking on thumb nail and getting exclimation mark. Some photos I could click on and they would show, but not all.

Tried rebuilding library and useing time machine did not work.(I tried finding the missing photos in the Originals and Modified folders and they were not in there)

So I did this. > Aplications. Then on the iPhoto icon you right click and click on the "Show Package contents". In the Package Contents among the files and folders there is one called "Data" (this one had an arrow indicateing it is a short cut) and there is one called Data.noindex. They both seem to have the same folders in them. I clicked on the Data folder and clicked on the folder with the year I was looking for. Then clicked on the folder for the month I wanted. All the pictures were in there. I copied that particular month folder and go back to the iPoto Library and paste the copied file into the Originals Folder. If there was that month in the Originals folder, I would just replace all the photos for that month. I quite iPhoto and restarted it and they are still in there.

Now I am happy and I hope this will make others happy as well.

Oct 27, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Plymouth Horizon

Couple of things:

1. That's not the same problem. When you try to view a photo you got an exclamation mark.

When Ray Bans clicked on an edited photo "it comes up totally black"

In your case, the exclamation mark means that iPhoto can't find the Photo - because, as you say, the files are missing

(I tried finding the missing photos in the Originals and Modified folders and they were not in there)

So you have a case where your files are missing and iPhoto can't find them. Ray Bans has a case where iphoto can find the files but they are empty.

2. The solution you descibe only recover the thumbnails of the photos, much smaller, much lower quality than the originals.

When I edit photos in iPhoto it deletes them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.